Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Newbie Questions

  • john
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2005
      --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Deenerz@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 1/30/2005 7:19:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      > Iksnip@a... writes:
      >
      > but now, the biofilter wheels dont consistently spin. Does
      anyone,
      > familiar with this filtration system, know how one can tell if it
      is
      > working. I am
      > getting water flow but again little wheel movement
      >

      > I used one for a while.
      > I believe there are two spray bars, one above each wheel. You
      shoould be
      > able to adjust these to direct the water flow at the wheels and
      this should
      > increase or decrease the rate of turn on the wheels. My spray
      bars got gunked
      > up rather quick and this slowed the wheels down, but this should
      not be the
      > issue with yours as it is new.
      > There should be a phone number or email address to contact the
      manufacturer
      > to get help.
      >
      > Mike
      hi there;
      i have bio-wheel filters, and i've found that sometimes the filter
      (removable part) needs to be changed, or that there could be debris
      around the impeller. I had piranha that sometimes left larger pieces
      of scraps that made its way into the filter that fouled up the
      filter.in the latter case you need to take apart the filter and
      rinse off the impeller blades, and clean out the intake tube.
      be sure of needing this, because cleaning the filter kills some
      needed bacteria, and if the wheel isn't spinning much or at all u
      need as much as you can get.
      j.

    • Shane
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 28, 2005
        Hello:

        I'm new to the hobby (I was into saltwater when I was a kid, growing
        up in the Keys, but have forgotten everything) but have decided to
        buy a used 55 gallon freshwater setup with fish.

        I'd like know the following:

        * I plan to transport the fish in bags filled with the water from
        the original tank location, and then keep them at an aquarium shop
        in a temporary tank until my used tank is re-located. Is this the
        way I should transport and temporarily keep the fish?

        * Once my used tank is re-located, filled with new freshwater, how
        long do I need to wait until reintroducing the fish?

        * Is fresh bottled spring better than tap water for aquariums.

        I appreciate your time and consideration in answering these newbie
        questions.

        Sincerely,
        Shane
      • Kay Wells
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
          Hi Everyone. DH gave me an aquarium for Christmas. Never having
          had one before, I refused to even put water in it until I read a
          book for beginners. I'm SO glad I did that! I've taken it very
          slowly and love how clean the water is, how the test strips have
          read all along, how well the fish get along, etc. but I have a few
          questions. It's a 29 gallon fresh water tank and the first week I
          put a few plants and 3 White Clouds in. The second week I added 2
          Powderblue Dwarf Gouramis. The fourth week I added 6 Jumbo
          Cardinals. One died within 24 hours so I assume the shock of being
          moved to a new tank was too much. One of my questions is this: the
          fish didn't look like he was going to make it when I left for work
          in the morning, and when I got home he was gone. I have a top on my
          tank so I know he didn't disappear by jumping out. Do fish
          cannibalize their own when one dies? Yesterday I noticed that the
          smallest White Cloud was gone. I always wondered if he was going to
          make it and I guess he didn't. Could it be possible that the other
          fish, sensing that he was failing killed and then ate him or did he
          die and then get eaten? I haven't read anything about this, but
          can't figure out what else could have happened...

          I think I'm going to add 3 more White Clouds (actually 4 now) and
          some Platy's but would welcome any thoughts.

          Thanks.
          Kay in Central New York
        • Melissa
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
            Hi, it has been my experience that fish will indeed eat the dead. I have
            had several jump out of the tank only to be consumed by my dogs. I would
            also keep a close eye to ensure that there is no harsh picking going on that
            would cause the death of some of your fish.

            I have a 38 gallon 10 month old saltwater aquarium (two percula clowns,
            pajama cardinal two blue green chromis) , a 20 high goldfish tank and a 10
            gallon leftover freshwater tank that only has three little guppies in it.
            Good luck with your tank and keep check on your water conditions. Thats
            something that I had never throught a lot about until I got into saltwater
            and I have to say that its a MUST. I would love to see some snapshots of
            your aquarium if you have a way to send them.

            Melissa

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
              --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Kay Wells" wrote:
              > It's a 29 gallon fresh water tank and the first week I
              > put a few plants and 3 White Clouds in. The second week I added 2
              > Powderblue Dwarf Gouramis.

              Keep an eye on the Gouramis if they are both males and males can be a
              bit, ahem, testy with each other.

              > The fourth week I added 6 Jumbo Cardinals. One died within
              > 24 hours so I assume the shock of being
              > moved to a new tank was too much.

              Could very well be. I have sort of a theory about netting fish in the
              store. My theory is when there are a decent number of them in the
              tank, then probably the slowest and weakest ones probably getting
              netted first since they easy to catch. So my joke is, and I of course
              have never done this, to go to the store, say you will take them all,
              let the store person net ALL them out until you get down to the last 3
              or 4. Now change your mind and say, actually, maybe I will only take
              those three still left in the tank. :) I suspect I would only be
              able to pull that once per store.

              > so I know he didn't disappear by jumping out. Do fish
              > cannibalize their own when one dies?

              Yes. But also you would be surpised at how well a small dead fish can
              disappear in even smaller tanks. They fade out and can get tucked into
              odd corners and under things, so it isn't all that unusual to lose a
              fish and never find the body.

              > Yesterday I noticed that the
              > smallest White Cloud was gone.

              Probably not a big thing to worry about, but do a partial wate rchange
              to be safe and keep monitoring ammonia and nitrites to make sure a
              decaying body doesn't throw things out of wack. If those reading start
              to spike, start search the tank completely.

              > I think I'm going to add 3 more White Clouds (actually 4 now) and
              > some Platy's but would welcome any thoughts.

              No objections there. Both White Clouds and Platys are favorites of
              mine. Platys are probably the easiest of live beares to keep, lively,
              colorful, decent size, hardy, etc. And White Clouds I think are just
              delightful little fish. I use them a lot when setting up summer tubs
              on my back porch in the summer. They breed very easily.