Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] More on my aquarium

  • Don Young
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
      Eric,

      I have a 90 Gallon tank set up with a undergravel filter system and three Powerheads (390's). I aslo have a bio-filter on the bank of the tank. I did not install substrait material because I wanted the filter system. I have planted some Java Ferns that attach to the rock decorations. I placed them on the rocks and used thread to tie them down untill the roots attache themselfs. I also just put in some Anachris plants. I got two bunches and had 6 stems in each. I got some Plant Plug which is a sponge type system that the stems stick into. I than placed the sponges on a small plastic tray I got at a plant store and buttie that into the gravel. This way the roots won't grow into the filter and disturb the filter system. The sponge system is full of nutrients and the plans don't need aything for 30 days. After that I use small tablets placed into the plastic trays. I have 24 different fish from Tetras, plattys, corycats, sword tails etc. The tank is clear and doing well. I
      hope to have it all planted in about 3 months. Good luck and feel free to cantack me if you have any questions.

      Don
      brakemanpr@...

      gothicrod <erickem@...> wrote:

      OK, so this will be my second post. Hi, I'm Eric.

      I have a 55 gallon with two fantails. I used blue-green medium-grain (?) gravel with a
      little white gravel mixed in, lots of plastic plants, and a few bigger ornaments for shade
      and hiding. I'm running a Penguin 330 filter and have an air pump connected to a bubble
      wall strip. The tank hood holds a single 40-watt flourescent, which is fine, since all the
      plants are plastic. I also have a 200-watt submersible heater that is currently unplugged,
      since I'm not getting any tropical fish anymore, unless I get a second tank. The aquarium
      has been up and running for over a month now, and the water is crystal clear, but there
      are some algae spots forming. I've been testing the water, and the nitrite/nitrate levels
      are up a little, but I have liquid treatment for that. (I've got AmQuel Plus.) I've been trying
      to keep up on water changes, but putting in extra time at work has made that a little
      difficult. The two fantails I have seem to be healthy and happy for now.

      I thought about getting live plants, but I'm not sure what to get. I've been looking around
      online for some ideas, but eventually I'll have to go back to a pet store and see what they
      have. Although, if I were to actually get live plants, I've noticed that they generally seem
      to need a different substrate to anchor themselves to and get nourishment from. I wish I
      had known that before I put water in.

      It's been a learning process from the start, and hopefully I won't kill my fish with any of my
      mistakes.

      Eric

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
        --- gothicrod <erickem@...> wrote:
        > I thought about getting live plants, but I'm not sure what to get.

        Keep in mind that goldfish are known plant eaters so most plants will
        get shredded and eaten.

        That said, anacharis (sp?) is popular in golfish tanks because it
        does well in cool water & is a bunch plant so is often sold cheap. I
        would stick to bunch type plants simply because you don't want
        golfish eating expensive potted plants. You might also look into
        hornwort and duckweed.

        =====
      • LadyElf
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2005
          Oh goldfish LOVE duckweed!! It's like steak to them ;) The upside is that
          it's a good thing they like it since it multiplies like crazy!!
          > > I thought about getting live plants, but I'm not sure what to get.
          >
          > Keep in mind that goldfish are known plant eaters so most plants will
          > get shredded and eaten.
          >
          > That said, anacharis (sp?) is popular in golfish tanks because it
          > does well in cool water & is a bunch plant so is often sold cheap. I
          > would stick to bunch type plants simply because you don't want
          > golfish eating expensive potted plants. You might also look into
          > hornwort and duckweed.
          >

          > =====
          > Patrick Timlin
          > http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • gothicrod
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2005
            Thanks for the info! There's hope for me yet. I want to look into getting live plants this
            weekend, since both pet stores in my area said they would have a fresh supply by
            yesterday (Friday).

            Just as a side point, I managed to get the nitrite/nitrate levels down by doing a water
            change and using AmQuel Plus to treat the replacement water. Maybe by getting some
            plants, the levels will be better controlled. I might even get another fish. (Might as well
            make it three fantails instead of two -- or maybe I'll get a different breed.)

            Eric

            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Don Young <brakemanpr@y...> wrote:

            > Eric,
            >
            > I have a 90 Gallon tank set up with a undergravel filter system and three Powerheads
            (390's). I aslo have a bio-filter on the bank of the tank. I did not install substrait material
            because I wanted the filter system. I have planted some Java Ferns that attach to the rock
            decorations. I placed them on the rocks and used thread to tie them down untill the roots
            attache themselfs. I also just put in some Anachris plants. I got two bunches and had 6
            stems in each. I got some Plant Plug which is a sponge type system that the stems stick
            into. I than placed the sponges on a small plastic tray I got at a plant store and buttie that
            into the gravel. This way the roots won't grow into the filter and disturb the filter system.
            The sponge system is full of nutrients and the plans don't need aything for 30 days. After
            that I use small tablets placed into the plastic trays. I have 24 different fish from Tetras,
            plattys, corycats, sword tails etc. The tank is clear and doing well. I
            > hope to have it all planted in about 3 months. Good luck and feel free to cantack me if
            you have any questions.

            > Don
            > brakemanpr@y...
          • Don Young
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2005
              Hey Eric,

              I was lucky I did not need any additives. I was able to slowly bring the tank to cycle. I have added fish and all seems to be doing well. I just added more plants this weekend, a few Brazilian Sword Plants. Let me know how it goes.

              Don