Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Essential test kits?

  • Don Young
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2005
      Hey,

      I have a 90 gallon tank that I just set up. I went to Pets Mart and got a freshwater test kit that has Low Range PH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrate. I also go KH test strips. It all works well and easy to use. I than put that Info into a computer Aquarium Log and I can graph my cycle as well as keep track or total cost, running cost with many other things. Good luck and take your time it will cycle.

      Don
      Las Vegas

      Sally and Paul Graham <salandpaul@...> wrote:

      I am setting up a 50 gallon, community tank (tropical), what test
      kits are essential for cycling and then for everyday running of the
      tank? Thanks in advance.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2005
        Me too. I bought this Hagen Master Test Kit, $29 at the time, used it
        twice or so and haven't used it since.

        http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/F73%
        2cMAN0171/Class/Fish+Supplies+Hagen+Test+Kits/T1/F73+0171+0771/EDP/243
        29/Itemdy00.aspx

        Nothing wrong with the test kit, but I just don't test for things
        very often.

        I would suggest that the new guy not waste any money on a test kit,
        or maybe just buy the inexpensive pH test kit. You can get all the
        necessary tests done for free at aquarist-friendly local fish store.
        Just bring in a small sample of water for them to dip the test strip
        into and they will read it off for you. Frankly its no better or
        worse than buying the kits and doing the test at home.

        One thing that I did learn from the test kit was that my water
        contained a high amount of phosporous. Also I was surprized by the
        fact that my tap water changes its pH after a few hours of sitting.

        Stan

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly McMichael"
        <kimberlymc@m...> wrote:
        > In the beginning (for at least the first 3 or 4 months) I used
        exclusively
        > liquid tests (the drops you put into a plastic container in which
        you first
        > added water from the tank). These are more consistently accurate.
        After the
        > cycling process was complete and things seemed to stabilize, I now
        use the
        > test strips. If anything looks amiss here then I get out the liquid
        tests
        > again to confirm the results. Most serious aquarists will only use
        the
        > liquid tests. You will want to test for Ammonia, Nitrites and
        Nitrates