Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Re: Filter Question

  • Patrick, The American Fish Guy
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 2, 2004
      I missed something. UGF's are generally not good for planted tanks
      because roots clog them up. Some people have also said that the roots get
      down into the open water and rot off. I'm not sure how much I agree with
      that part, but I do know from experience that they will clog with plant
      roots if you don't pull up the plants every month and cut the roots.

      Patrick N.

      Click the link below to learn about the Nitrogen Cycle.
      Nitrogen Cycle
      About my tanks:
      29 gallon tank (110 Litters).
      -I have 5 glolights, 2 neons and 3 black neons, 3 skirt tetras, 2
      home-raised mollies, 1 home raised guppy, 4 Otocinclus catfish, 2 albino and
      3 juli cories, 1 pleco, one female betta, and 1 paradise gourami. I do not
      recommend this setup for starting a new tank!
      -Plants: "hardy" aponongetons, red tiger lotus, banana plants, java ferns,
      hornwort, and amazon swords.
      -Single 20 watt 5000K light, plain gravel, Regent 30-60 power filter.
      Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 30ppm, KH 2°, pH 6.4.
      10 gallon tank (38 Liters).
      -Multiple bettas, all born in June.
      -Plants: hornwort, red tiger lotus, amazon sword
      -2 10 watt 6500K mini fluorescent lights, plain gravel in spots, sponge
      filter.
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 2, 2004
        I noticed that one web site will say they are good for plants, then
        another will say they are not.Such as:
        "3. Plant tanks are not suited for this technic. Most root-nourished
        plants do not perform as expected over UG plates, and enriched
        substrates are incompatible with the technic. There are exceptions to
        this rule, but they would be for advanced hobbyists. Plants in pots
        are unaffected by UG of course." found that at:
        http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/rtrrfug.html Guess I'll read a lot
        more before I open my mouth again. LOL

        -- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick, The American