Help!!!!!

  • bcs
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
      Cannot get my tank to clear; keeps getting more cloudy. Have had
      the tank now for about 6 weeks, did the cycling before getting the
      fish;I have tested with test strips, have done a 25% change of water
      a couple of times, vaccumed the gravel, put in chemicals to correct
      all the levels; level are now within range. Am at wits end!!!! I
      have 5 gouramis, 2 pleco and 1 danio. I have a 29 gal freshwater
      tank, artificial plants and gravel. I have and on side filter and
      an undergravel filter; all working fine....
      bcs
    • amalthea23
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004
        i'd say add some real plants and stop changing the water for a few
        days. you may have some kind of bacterial bloom. did you add all of the
        fish at once? even though a tank is cycled before you add the fish,
        it's only cycled for the level of ammonia it had to handle previous to
        adding the fish. it takes time to build up to where it can handle lots
        of fish, particularly plecos which are messy fish.
        amalthea
        On Oct 9, 2004, at 4:39 PM, bcs wrote:

        > Cannot get my tank to clear; keeps getting more cloudy.  Have had
        > the tank now for about 6 weeks, did the cycling before getting the
        > fish;I have tested with test strips, have done a 25% change of water
        > a couple of times, vaccumed the gravel, put in chemicals to correct
        > all the levels; level are now within range.  Am at wits end!!!! I
        > have 5 gouramis, 2 pleco and 1 danio.  I have a 29 gal freshwater
        > tank, artificial plants and gravel.  I have and on side filter and
        > an undergravel filter; all working fine....
        > bcs
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <lrec_scuba_082004.jpg>
        > <l.gif>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Service.

        http://www.amaltheasattic.com
        Custom Dreadfalls, Synthetic Hair Pieces, and Other Artful
        Adornments....
      • bcs
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2004
          Thank you for the help; I did not add them all at once; water seemed
          to clearing up until my last cleaning; the gravel was getting really
          messy. Could I have an algae bloom happening? When I turn off the
          light the water has a green tinge to it.?

          Thanks
          Brenda
        • Nimish Mathur
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2004
            Brenda,

            I think this is very normal in new tank setups and don't panic. You could
            try the anti flocculants to clear up or things like Easylife etc. that help
            clearing the water.

            If there is a lot of green tint instead of white cloudiness then it could
            mean that your lights are on for too much period? But again this could be
            very normal as my tank water also looks browninsh in one and green in
            another.

            I will still suggest to sit back and relax and don't do any filter
            cleaning/gravel vacuuming etc. small water changes should be fine but don't
            do them in panic.

            Nim