Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Guppy longivity?

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 17, 2004
      The parents often will have internal diseases and things that shorten
      their lives (some stores may sell healthy ones, but the store I got mine
      from doesn't). Get all females and wait for the babies to come. Raise the
      babies and you will have much better fish, in my opinion. Experience with
      livebearers varies. In my experience, the babies are so easy to raise and
      they live so much better that it is a better idea to just get a female and
      wait for the babies to come (females have babies with or without a male
      every month for several months after their last contact with the male back
      at the store). Raise the babies in their own tank and they will be fine.
      That will also mean you would need floating plants for the babies to hide in
      as soon as they are born.
      The only real warning I have for you is that male bettas sometimes see a
      guppy with a large, round fin and think it is a female betta. Depending on
      the attitude of betta and how it acts around females, that could be a
      problem. Some males do fine with females around, though. Just something to
      watch for.

      Patrick N.
      Nitrogen Cycle
      About my tanks:
      29 gallon tank.
      -I have 5 glolights, 2 neons and 3 black neons, 3 skirt tetras, 2
      home-raised mollies, 1 home raised guppy, 4 ottos, 2 albino and 3 juli
      cories, 1 pleco, one female betta, and 1 paradise gourami. I do not
      recommend this setup for new or inexperienced fish keepers!
      -Plants: "hardy" aponongetons, red tiger lotus, banana plants, java ferns,
      hornwort, and amazon swords.
      -Single 20 watt 5000K light, plain gravel, Regent 30-60 power filter.
      Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 30ppm, KH 2°, pH 6.4.
      10 gallon tank.
      -Multiple bettas, too many to count, all born in June.
      -Plants: hornwort, red tiger lotus
      -2 10 watt 6500K mini flourecent lights, plain gravel in spots, sponge
      filter.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2004
        Thanks muchly, Paul...
        I only have male guppies, as I didn't want to have to constantly be
        trying to find good homes for the babies. Can you tell I was a very
        responsible breeder, back when I was showing and raising doggies?
        :~)
        Barb

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "...Paul" <cleggp@m...>
        wrote:
        > On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Barbara Linden wrote:
        > > Hi, ya'll...
        > > I am a professional petsitter and certified dog trainer, but am
        very
        > > new to the world of fishies! I want to learn all I can, and have
        > > fallen in love with the darling and colorful little guppies! I
        also
        > > have several wonderful personality plus bettas. I'm curious as
        > > what the normal lifespan is for a guppy...?
        >
        > If I remember correctly, average lifespan of a guppy is only about
        a year.
        > I did a quick search and got this:
        >
        > http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/1998/archives/26/roadtests/others?
        p=2737

        > Which looks like a pretty informative page.
        >
        > I keep guppies in a 25 gal tank, which I've unfortunately mostly
        ignored
        > the past year. They breed a lot, so I always have little fish
        running
        > around, even I think my tank is limiting their lifespan quite a
        bit...

        > I feel guilty about it, but I've had other things going on. It
        seems a
        > relatively stable state; they subsist on the algae that grows on
        the
        > plants that recycle their waste (I use live plants)...
        >
        > ...Paul
        >
        > ** Have a question that reality just can't answer?
        **
        > ** Visit Project Galactic Guide http://www.galactic-guide.com/ **
        > "We must become the change we want to see" -- Mahatma Gandhi
      • Todd Fields
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2004
          --- Barbara Linden <linden2710@...> wrote:

          > new to the world of fishies! I want to learn all I
          > can, and have
          > fallen in love with the darling and colorful little
          > guppies! I also

          I couldn't tell ya. I can't seem to keep them alive a
          month. Probably because I always get 'em from
          Petsmart.

          Oh, and don't mix one in with a Betta. They can
          mistake the flowing tale of the mail Guppy as that of
          another Betta and attack.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Todd Fields
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 17, 2004
            --- Barbara Linden <linden2710@...> wrote:

            >> I only have male guppies, as I didn't want to have
            > to constantly be
            > trying to find good homes for the babies. Can you

            I don't know this to be true from experience, but I've
            read that if you have only male guppies or more male
            guppies than female guppies then you can have fighting
            amongst the males. Have you found that to be the
            case? I'd rather just get male guppies myself but
            have always tried to have three females for every two
            males based on the above.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • ...Paul
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 18, 2004
              On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Todd Fields wrote:
              > >> I only have male guppies, as I didn't want to have
              > > to constantly be
              > > trying to find good homes for the babies. Can you

              If you don't want babies, all males is definitely the way to go. Even if
              you go "all females", there's a good chance (depending on where you
              purchased the guppies) that they're already pregnant, and you'll end up
              with babies anyway. Female guppies (and I believe most livebearers) can
              actually store sperm from a male, and impregnate themselves after they've
              had their batch of babies. Thus, even if you remove a female from a group
              that contains males, they can possibly give birth two, three, maybe even
              four or more times after that, all using the same sperm received before
              the separation.

              'sides, males tend to be prettier. ;)

              > I don't know this to be true from experience, but I've
              > read that if you have only male guppies or more male
              > guppies than female guppies then you can have fighting
              > amongst the males. Have you found that to be the
              > case? I'd rather just get male guppies myself but
              > have always tried to have three females for every two
              > males based on the above.

              I don't think fighting is that common, but if a female can't "get away"
              from the males, it puts a lot of stress on them. If you have a heavily
              planted tank, this may not be as big a deal, because the female should
              have lots of hiding spots and such. If you have a completely empty
              breeding tank, it can create problems. If you have more females than
              males, the males can't chase all the females all the time, so the females
              can take turns "resting".

              ...Paul

              ** Have a question that reality just can't answer? **
              "I used to be confused, but now I'm just not sure."
            • Barbara Linden
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 25, 2004
                I haven't seen any fighting at all. They are just so gorgeous
                together, too! I know not to put them in with any of my male
                bettas, but did try a couple of female bettas in with them. I
                found 'em both dead a few days later, for some reason. Rats! I put
                two platies in there, as well, and a dalmation molly. So far, so
                good!
                :~)
                Barb

                --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Todd Fields