Re: Algae Problems Digest Number 438

  • jamie kathan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2004
      I also have a System 3, 5 gallon Hex, and battle algae
      all the time too. Though I think it's a great hospital
      or breeding tank, I reaaalllyyy want to get my Betta
      outta there. He's temp sharing space with a guppy mom
      and her ton o' fry.

      Done the feeding less and make water changes more
      frequently but I wonder if the pump/filter just isn't
      strong enough to keep it livably clean week to week.

      I do occasionally use my magnet cleaner in the 5. That
      helps for a few days at a time. This tank is not glass
      though...and it can scratch some, fyi.

      Right now I am in the process of building my own set
      up for the hex and a 2 1/2 for my betta. Recently I
      purchased a Cascade 150 to replace a BioWheel filter
      for a 29g and am so happy with it! No wheel and great
      bio process...anyone have a small tank
      suggetion/alternate for a bio-wheel set up? I like the
      outside hanging ones, but, any suggestion is helpful.

      thanks!

      original post >

      I have an Eclipse System Three that's been going along
      for three or so months now. I have some Neon Tetras,
      an African Dwarf Frog and a couple of snails in it. I
      recently have begun to have an algae problem. I was
      looking for some advice on how to deal with it. Are
      there any good and friendly algae eaters for a tank
      that small? If not then some advice on other ways to
      deal with it would be appreciated.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2004
        --- jamie kathan <bettamoma@...> wrote:
        > Done the feeding less and make water changes more
        > frequently but I wonder if the pump/filter just isn't
        > strong enough to keep it livably clean week to week.

        The amount of algae one has in their tank is not likely to have
        anything to do with the filter. Algae is the result of an excess of
        certain chemicals/nutrients in the water and/or too much light or
        light on too long.

        A filter mainly does two jobs for the tank. One is trapping particles
        mechanically and the other is converting toxic Ammonia and nitrites
        into nitrates (bio-filtering). Also chemical filtering is done to
        some extent, but this is usually in third place for most filters if
        at all. If the cause of the algae is from too much nitrates, then
        certainly the filter is doing a wonderful job.

        If the problem is related to an excess of ammonia, nitrites, or
        nitrates, then the problem is related to over feeding, overstocking,
        not large enough or frequent enough water changes or often a
        combination of two or more of those.

        If the problem is other excess nutrients, like phosphate, then the
        problem is overfeeding, too much or the wrong type of plant
        fertilizers, excess in your water source (e.g. your tap water), pH
        Down type chemicals, etc.

        If the problem is too much light or too long on, then you need to add
        more plants to out compete the algae or cut down on the light period.
        Anything more than 12-14 hours of lighting is definitely an algae
        problem waiting to happen. If you have no live plants, then the light
        should be on no more than 10-12 hours a day.

        None of these potential problems is related to the filter.

        =====
        Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...
        http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/
      • DawnWheeler2002@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
          You need to drain the whole tank, put your fish in a big bucket, and than
          wash the gravel, and rinse out the tank with just water, than set your tank back
          up, but you will need to add chemicals to treat the alge, and than it can
          take up to 2 weeks for it to go away, we had a simalar problem,and that did the
          trick,if you need any more help,i would be glad to try and answer ant
          questions you have!!! Good Luck