LFS in the Londonderry, New Hampshire area

  • essayons82@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi-

      Looking for a higher end LFS in my area. Went to the local PETCO,
      but they weren't much help with any questions that strayed from the
      straight and narrow.

      I have a 42gal, hexagonal tank that I want to start up and I have
      questions in several areas. So I'm looking for a place that is
      focused on aquaria. Here's my concerns, any help would be
      appreciated:

      1. I'm in the live plant camp and I've heard about substrate
      material that would improve plant health. What is it, where do I
      get it, how do I use it (i.e. does it go under the gravel), what are
      the pros and cons?

      2. This tank is deep, 24" or better, and I'm concerned about
      filtration and heating. Can I go with a external bio filter hung on
      the back of the tank, like Penguin? Same for the heater. Will I
      get good circulation?

      I had a ~20 gal rectangular tank years back with a bio filter and
      live plants. I actually spread steel wool under the gravel to
      provide iron. I had a great steady state system, very clean, clear
      tank with low maintenance and good fish and plant health.

      Thanks,

      Ken