Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] hood light

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
      --- "...Paul" <cleggp@...> wrote:
      > but if you don't have live fish, they would still
      > love to have some time off.

      Ya, my non-living fish are DIEING for some time off! <grin>

      Couldn't resist.

      =====
      Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...
      http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/
    • Jeanne
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        okay I was wondering as we did have a alge problem starting.

        Jeanne--- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Detrick Merz
        <detrick.merz@m...> wrote:
        > No. Actually, if you leave it on all the time, you'll probably
        find you
        > have severe algae problems before long. In all actuality, your
        fish
        > probably wouldn't care if you never turned it on. Lights are
        typically
        > thought to do two things:
        >
        > a) let you watch your fish
        > b) help your plants (if you have any) grow
        >
        > Lights can have other affect on the fish, if you have nocturnal
        fish
        > they might get grumpy, things like that. But, mostly the light is
        there
        > for you to see, and for your plants to be healthy.
        >
        > How long should you leave the light on, you ask? It's quite
        debated,
        > although the presence of live plants has the most influence. Live
        > plants like anywhere from 8-14 hours of light per day, depending
        on who
        > you ask. Personally, I try to leave the lights on for as long as
        > possible, without having algae problems creep up. This is
        currently
        > about 8-10 hours of light a day. It was longer, when my plants
        were not
        > well established. Since the plants are well established, they do
        well
        > without as much light.
        >
        > hth,
        >
        > detrick
        >
        > Jeanne wrote:
        > > does the hood light have to be on all the time? I keep
        forgetting to
        > > ask this question.
        > >
        > > we have a 2.5 gallon(no heater) and a 10 gallon with heater.
        > >
        > > Jeanne
      • Jeanne
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          never really thought about that. thank you!
          Jeanne--- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick A.
          Timlin" <ptimlin@y...> wrote:
          > --- Jeanne <pinkgirls_us@y...> wrote:
          > > does the hood light have to be on all the time?
          >
          > No you should not have the light on all the time. Fish need a day
          and
          > night cycle for proper health. If they can not sleep they won't be
          > healthy, just like you and me. Don't forget that fish do not have
          > eyelids, so they can not simply close their eyes to block out the
          > light.
          >
          > Get a cheap light timer from your local hardware store (~$5) and
          have
          > your light come on and off automatically every day. Anywhere from
          > ahout 8 hours to 12 hours max is fine. Lower end if you have algae
          > problems and the higher end for live plants.
          >

          > =====
          > Patrick Timlin ptimlin@y...
          > http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/
        • ...Paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Patrick A. Timlin wrote:
            > --- "...Paul" <cleggp@...> wrote:
            > > but if you don't have live fish, they would still
            > > love to have some time off.
            >
            > Ya, my non-living fish are DIEING for some time off! <grin>

            Doh! I must really be working too hard. :)

            ...Paul

            ** Have a question that reality just can't answer? **
            "taH pagh taHbe'"