bumblebee gobies/mickey mouse ears

  • Jeanne
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      does anyone have any bumblebee gobies? we saw them at the fish store
      and fell in love with them can you tell me about them?

      my kids like the fish that have the mickey mouse eats on their tales
      what can you tell me about them?

      would they be compatable in a 10 gallon tank?

      Jeanne
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- Jeanne <pinkgirls_us@...> wrote:
        > does anyone have any bumblebee gobies? we saw them at the fish
        > store and fell in love with them can you tell me about them?

        Generally considered in most books to be a slightly brackish fish or
        at least requiring water that is moderately hard. No experience
        myself but many who have kept them suggest they are best for a
        species tank.

        I think one of the aquarium magazines just had an article about them,
        but I forget which one I saw it in.

        > my kids like the fish that have the mickey mouse eats on their
        > tales what can you tell me about them?

        Mickey Mouse Platys. Great fish, platys. Nothing special or unique
        about the mickey mouse ones other than the neat mickey mouse looking
        spot on the tail, otherwise care is the same as any other platys.
        Platys are very hardy and easy to keep and it is hard to go wrong
        with them. They are probably the easiest of all the four commonly
        sold live bearers (guppies, swordtails, mollies, and platys). I don't
        think you can go wrong with them.

        > would they be compatable in a 10 gallon tank?

        Both types are suitable for a ten gallon although like I mentioned
        above, the gobies are probably best suited for a species tank. The
        platys, however, get along with most fish than won't bother them, so
        they are excellent choices for a community tank in general.

        =====
        Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...
        http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/
      • Tiffany
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
          I personally love Bumblebees. They are cute and very funny little
          fish. They really prefer a tank that has some salt in it but can live
          happily in a fresh tank. They tend to do well with other community
          fish. The only thing that most people don't like about them is that
          they require frozen food. They don't do well with flakes. I feed mine
          at home and the ones at work frozen brine shrimp and community menu.
          They love it. As for the mickey's they should do great with them. I
          have a lot of customers that have platies in with their gobies and
          they get along great. Just be sure to feed the platies their flakes
          before you throw some frozen in there that way the gobies have a
          chance to get food. Hope this helps.

          Tiffany
        • Jeanne
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
            thank you I dont think we want to do alot more with the tanks then
            we have too but it is nice to find out about them just incase our
            interest grows to something different.

            Lots of wonderful information Thank you all again.
            Jeanne--- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick A. Timlin"