Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] New aquarium 2 dead fish

  • The Hamburgs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2004
      I'm just a beginner.. lots of learning to do., but I think lots of things
      could have caused that to happen. I know it's not fun.. but most fish
      stores have a 15 day or so return policy. If you bring the fish in a baggie
      or container or something, they'll replace it for free. They can also test
      the water and look at the fish.. could be a disease aside from the water
      quality.

      I personally think that getting things to move right along won't necessarily
      save the other two fish if that's what we may be thinking. the plants like
      this person suggests.. she's prolly right bout those helping... I'm not a
      plant expert or even beginner though LOL.. hopefully I'll get more knowledge
      on them and update my plastic plants into real ones :)

      I myself would rather it go slower so I can catch things quicker before they
      get to the fish. Quicker things are more difficult to catch and treat.

      When I first started my tank I tested the water daily for the pH, ammonia,
      and nitrates just to see how things work and to make sure things didn't get
      out of line. It was a good thing I did., because the ammonia level got
      really high.. unsafe kind of high.. so I did some things to help the tank
      regarding ammonia. If I didn't catch it., I probably would have lost a fish
      or two. I think you can get a test kit for about $20 that would do it all.

      I've just learned that Amquel (a water conditioning product) works really
      well to keep those ammonia levels safe.. or basically non-toxic and non
      existant to the fish. It also takes care of chlorine and chloramine and
      other things but still allows the tank to cycle correctly. I'll be
      switching from what I use to this product soon. (if you do switch, make
      sure you get the right nitrate testing kit (if you use them) - the wrong one
      gives false readings when using amquel)

      SUGGESTION: I'd suggest either getting a test kit for ammonia, pH, nitrates,
      etc. If you don't want the expense., bring some water from your tank into
      Petco.. they'll do the test there. ALSO bring in some water from your tap
      water.. just for fun. Have them write down the results of each. (and do
      all the tests.. not just pH) (keep a log) Then either take their advice
      (which can be sometimes.. oh frustrating I suppose would be the easiest
      description) or come back here with the test results and somebody will help
      yea I'm sure :)

      If you're unfamiliar with nitrates, ammonia, pH.. doing water changes, or
      transitioning a fish from the bag to the tank, please do ask somebody here.
      they'z important - not necessarily the technical part.. but just the
      beginners need to know part - it's not just a geeky thing that the fish
      lovers do to pass time. :) they're super important not only to the ongoing
      health, but to the life of the fisheroos and wished that I knew when I first
      started my tank. Coz I lost two fish in the beginning .. just like you
      did... but probably could have avoided it if I had helpful people like there
      are on here.