Is my blackmoor goldfish a male or female?

  • astonoyu
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
      Very sorry for the last posting, I typed it way too fast. I guess
      many people got confused.

      I have a red cap oranda goldfish that laid some eggs. My questions
      are:
      Is it possible for a female goldfish to lay eggs whether there is
      not any males around?
      How do you differentiate the gender of a goldfish?
      Up until now, I do not know whether her tank mate
      (a blackmoor) is a male or a female.
      This blackmoor has a slimmer body than her. However, it does not
      have those tubercles on its gill cover and fins. Also, its anal
      opening is not caved in although it is smaller than hers.
      I created an album in the photo section. The album is called Yudi.
      It has two pictures of the blackmoor. I hope this additional
      wordings help.

      Thank you in advance!
    • amalthea23
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
        it's possible for her to lay eggs, but without a male, they will go
        unfertilized and eventually grow a fungus if she doesn't eat them.
        amalthea
        On Sunday, November 30, 2003, at 09:44 AM, astonoyu wrote:

        > Very sorry for the last posting, I typed it way too fast. I guess
        > many people got confused.
        >
        > I have a red cap oranda goldfish that laid some eggs. My questions
        > are:
        > Is it possible for a female goldfish to lay eggs whether there is
        > not any males around?
        > How do you differentiate the gender of a goldfish?
        > Up until now, I do not know whether her tank mate
        > (a blackmoor) is a male or a female.
        > This blackmoor has a slimmer body than her. However, it does not
        > have those tubercles on its gill cover and fins. Also, its anal
        > opening is not caved in although it is smaller than hers.
        > I created an album in the photo section. The album is called Yudi.
        > It has two pictures of the blackmoor. I hope this additional
        > wordings help.
        >
        > Thank you in advance!

        <image.tiff>

        http://www.puppetterrors.com