Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] New Meber New Tank

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
      --- Matt <kopasetic01@...> wrote:
      > I just purchased a 150 gal monster.
      > Any sugestions on how I should filter it?

      If it was me, I would probably go with very large canister filters.

      =====
      Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...
      http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
        I have never delt with a canister filter.
        Do they pump the water, or do I need to hook them up to a power head
        or something?

        Can you also reccomend a Size and brand?
        thankx.

        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick A. Timlin"

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
          --- Matt <kopasetic01@...> wrote:
          > I have never delt with a canister filter.
          > Do they pump the water, or do I need to hook them up to a power
          > head or something?

          Yes they have their own pumps. Basically they are big buckets with a
          "head" clamped on top. The head has the pump motor and you run a
          couple hoses up to the tank. The "Bucket", usually with several trays
          or seperators, allow for all manner of different types of filter
          media. Advantages of canisters is they can go a lot longer between
          cleaning because of how much more media/volume they hold and they
          also tend to be good for larger tanks where other filters, like hang
          on the back power filters, start to become too small. Another
          advantage is that they can often be hidden behind the tank stand or
          even in the tank stand since they are connected via hoses rather than
          physically hanging off the tank.

          > Can you also reccomend a Size and brand?

          Well Ehiems are generally considered the best but they also cost like
          they are the best. There are several other brands and as far as I
          know, none of them outright suck, so any are probably going to be
          good. Fluvals have been around a long time and are considered the
          utility brand that does the job at a more affordable price. Each of
          the various brands has their fans who think they are the best in the
          hobby.

          =====
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
            Thank you verry much for the help.