Re: I'm new & I'm going to set up a 15-20 gallon aquarium, Advice

  • John Chambers
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 14, 2003
      You have been given a ton of good advice here (wish I had done that
      when I started!)

      My few recommendations - I love the eclipse hoods, but they are
      really pricey! Check out Petsmart (if you are in an area that has
      one) - they have a nice selection of starter kits with all the stuff
      you need except water, gravel and fish. I like the 29 gallon size as
      well.

      Neons get along great with most other "community" fish, but I
      wouldn't recommend them for cycling your tank. Perhaps it's just me,
      but I've always had a heck of a time keeping neons alive for very
      long at a time. You should also have about 5-7, as they actively
      school and look really great zooming back and forth around the tank.

      I'd recommend a hardy fish for cycling, perhaps a pair of platys, to
      get you started.
    • ...Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 14, 2003
        On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, John Chambers wrote:
        > I'd recommend a hardy fish for cycling, perhaps a pair of platys, to
        > get you started.

        Just a note, Platys are livebearer fish and do better in water with some
        salt added to it. If you want to avoid dealing with that, I'm a fan of
        harlequin rasboras, and especially the orange form, "rasbora espei". They
        also school really nicely.

        ...Paul

        ** Have a question that reality just can't answer? **
        "I used to be confused, but now I'm just not sure."
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 15, 2003
          --- "...Paul" <cleggp@...> wrote:
          > Just a note, Platys are livebearer fish and do better in water with some
          > salt added to it. If you want to avoid dealing with that, I'm a fan of
          > harlequin rasboras, and especially the orange form, "rasbora espei". They
          > also school really nicely.

          The livebearers = salt thing is really more of an aquaria myth. Many common
          live bearers do not require salt at all including guppies, swordtails, and
          platys. Mollies tend to be the more debated ones, but in general if your
          water is harder then salt is not needed for them, but if your water is
          mineral poor, then salt is a way to help make it acceptable for mollies.

          But for platys, they do not require any salt at all. This based on personal
          experience.

          =====
          Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com