hardy plants

  • redpony ha ha
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi all- I have a 55gal. community tank w/ some live plants. Problem
      is my Geophagus and Severum are uprooting them and others eat them
      (mostly the egeria densa plants). Can anyone recommend some hardy
      plants that survive in 110 watts of light? Also, the plants I left in
      pots aren't getting disturbed, is it OK to leave them in the pots? Do
      I need to transplant them at some point, and if so, when? thanx-
      Oram3
    • microsurge
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
        I have some severnums. They not not only uproot the plants but also
        eat them. I regularly add a bunch of Elodia to their tank anchored
        with a stone. Within a week the whole buch is gone. If you really
        want to have plants have full length glass partition in the back and
        plant them behind it or just go for artificial one and go on adding
        some for them to eat.
        Dr.Bakul Leuva
        --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "redpony ha ha"
        <oram3@y...> wrote:
        > Hi all- I have a 55gal. community tank w/ some live plants.
        Problem
        > is my Geophagus and Severum are uprooting them and others eat them
        > (mostly the egeria densa plants). Can anyone recommend some hardy
        > plants that survive in 110 watts of light? Also, the plants I left
        in
        > pots aren't getting disturbed, is it OK to leave them in the pots?
        Do
        > I need to transplant them at some point, and if so, when? thanx-
        > Oram3
      • microsurge
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
            > is my Geophagus and Severum are uprooting them and others eat them
            > (mostly the egeria densa plants). Can anyone recommend some hardy
            > plants that survive in 110 watts of light?

            One thing you might try is more plants that do not really root. Of course
            floating plants are one choice with things like Hornwort or Water Sprite
            grown floating as two cheap and usually easy to grow choices.

            On the bottom, you might try something like Java Ferns. Mainly a low to
            medium light plant, they can do ok in brighter tanks and do well if you have
            floating plants to help shade them a bit. Nice thing about Java Ferns is they
            do not root in the substrate but rather crab on (much like ivy on a brick
            wall) to the gravel surface, on rocks, driftwood etc. Do your cichlids can
            push them around all they want and it won't hurt them.

            =====
            Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...

            http://calendar.yahoo.com