Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Starter Scavenger Fish?

    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2003
      --- hometowntransportation <hometowntransportation@...> wrote:
      > I just recently started a 30 gallon community freshwater tank. I
      > have two tiger barbs in just to cycle the tank. My question is,
      > what is a good bottom feeder / scavenger that would survive the
      > cycling of a new tank. I've noticed with this, and other tanks I've
      > kept, that until the new fish become accustomed to feeding, alot of
      > food sinks to the bottom un-eaten just waiting there to foul up the
      > water. I get as much out as I can, but I'm sure I'm not getting all
      > of it. Any advice would be appreciated...

      It sounds like you are overfeeding if food ends up on the bottom. For now if
      you are feeding every day, maybe you should try every other day instead or if
      you feed many times a day, cut back to once a day for now. It might also be
      you are simply feeding to much at each feeding as well.

      Two tiger barbs are going to be trouble. These are active nippy fish and
      without enough of their own kind to tassle with, they are likely to target
      other fish who may not take it well. Therefore, I might suggest that instead
      of bottom feeders, you might instead look at first expanding your tiger barb
      school to at least 4, but 6 would be better.

      Then let the tank completely cycle and you can be thinking about other fish
      in the meantime. You can not go wrong with a half dozen Cory cats of the same
      species.

      =====
      Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
        Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of adding to many fish to cycle the tank in the beginning. I have extensive experience in marine tanks, but this is my first real venture into freshwater. Thanks again for the advice..