Starter Scavenger Fish?

  • hometowntransportation
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2003
      Hi:

      I just recently started a 30 gallon community freshwater tank. I
      have two tiger barbs in just to cycle the tank. My question is,
      what is a good bottom feeder / scavenger that would survive the
      cycling of a new tank. I've noticed with this, and other tanks I've
      kept, that until the new fish become accustomed to feeding, alot of
      food sinks to the bottom un-eaten just waiting there to foul up the
      water. I get as much out as I can, but I'm sure I'm not getting all
      of it. Any advice would be appreciated...

      Thanks in advance..
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2003
        --- hometowntransportation <hometowntransportation@...> wrote:
        > I just recently started a 30 gallon community freshwater tank. I
        > have two tiger barbs in just to cycle the tank. My question is,
        > what is a good bottom feeder / scavenger that would survive the
        > cycling of a new tank. I've noticed with this, and other tanks I've
        > kept, that until the new fish become accustomed to feeding, alot of
        > food sinks to the bottom un-eaten just waiting there to foul up the
        > water. I get as much out as I can, but I'm sure I'm not getting all
        > of it. Any advice would be appreciated...

        It sounds like you are overfeeding if food ends up on the bottom. For now if
        you are feeding every day, maybe you should try every other day instead or if
        you feed many times a day, cut back to once a day for now. It might also be
        you are simply feeding to much at each feeding as well.

        Two tiger barbs are going to be trouble. These are active nippy fish and
        without enough of their own kind to tassle with, they are likely to target
        other fish who may not take it well. Therefore, I might suggest that instead
        of bottom feeders, you might instead look at first expanding your tiger barb
        school to at least 4, but 6 would be better.

        Then let the tank completely cycle and you can be thinking about other fish
        in the meantime. You can not go wrong with a half dozen Cory cats of the same
        species.

        =====
        Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
          Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of adding to many fish to cycle the tank in the beginning. I have extensive experience in marine tanks, but this is my first real venture into freshwater. Thanks again for the advice..