Gravel/substrate&PH

  • suprtitn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      I am having considerable problems maintaing a neutral PH in my
      aquarium. After some research, I traced the problem to the gravel
      in my aquarium. Apparently it has a high calcium/lime content and
      as a result tends to increase PH well over 8.0.

      Any suggestions on how to deal with this, or does anyone know of a
      bagged gravel/substrate that does not alter PH?

      any suggestions helpful
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2003
        --- suprtitn <suprtitn@...> wrote:
        > I am having considerable problems maintaing a neutral PH in my
        > aquarium. After some research, I traced the problem to the gravel
        > in my aquarium. Apparently it has a high calcium/lime content and
        > as a result tends to increase PH well over 8.0.
        >
        > Any suggestions on how to deal with this, or does anyone know of a
        > bagged gravel/substrate that does not alter PH?

        In general, avoid any aquarium gravel that is coated. Some will say on the
        bag they are coated or sealed in epoxy. The ONLY reason to go to this trouble
        and expense is if the gravel is high in calcium like yours. I haven't had
        much trouble with plain gravels that are uncoated.

        You could acid wash the gravel you have and try to leach out as much of the
        lime as you can, but that might be more trouble than it is worth.

        =====
        Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • michelle koinzan
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2003
          Hi, may I ask what your PH is out of the tap after sitting in a bucket overnigh? This will give you a more accurate reading of your actual PH.Also, what type of fish do you keep? There are many fish that do well in water with a PH of 8.0. Unless your trying to breed Angel fish or Discus I wouldn't worry about your PH. Fish will adapt to a stable PH, its when the PH bounces around that they are in danger. MK

          suprtitn <suprtitn@...> wrote:I am having considerable problems maintaing a neutral PH in my
          aquarium. After some research, I traced the problem to the gravel
          in my aquarium. Apparently it has a high calcium/lime content and
          as a result tends to increase PH well over 8.0.

          Any suggestions on how to deal with this, or does anyone know of a
          bagged gravel/substrate that does not alter PH?

          any suggestions helpful

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor