Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Digest Number 166

  • Thomas Zaccone
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2003
      "On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, at 10:04:17 -0500
      Jason Heyd wrote:

      personally, i hate to think of any fish as "expendable" ... do consider
      fishless cycling as an alternative."

      Personally, I haven't had experience with fishless recycling.

      As far as not considering individual fish as "expendible", fish like zebras
      are commercially reared by the thundreds of thousands, are inexpensive, and
      have relatively short lifespans even under optimal conditions.
      Unless one has some deeply personal religious or philosophical oppostion to
      their use for this purpose, I fail to recognize any problem with it.

      When you speak of fishless recycling, do you refer to the use of added
      bacterial cultures from established tanks, or commercially developed ones?
      Won't either one require a build-up of ammonia to get going properly?

      Thomas Zaccone
    • LadyElf
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18, 2003
        You can use household ammonia in limited quantities to start the
        ammonia/nitrite cycle....it works really well and is used quite a bit with
        people that have ponds.

        Deb