Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Ick?!?!

  • Jason Heyd
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
      hi, sara. ich looks like someone sprinkled table salt on your fish ...
      very small white dots, and typically quite a few of them. ich's an
      opportunistic parasite -- which means that many fish can fight it off
      on their own. if only one fish has it, it's possible he's weakened due
      to some other illness or even old age. certain scaleless fish like
      loaches (especially clowns) seem to be more susceptible to ich.

      if you can set up a small hospital tank for the sick fish, i'd do so
      ... it will lessen the chances of your other fish getting infected.

      i've had great success using QuickCure for treating ich. it says it's
      a three day treatment, but i typically treat twice over a period of two
      weeks. you can also raise the temperature slightly (84-86F) -- which
      will speed up the parasite's life-cycle and make it a bit easier to
      kill it in a shorter period of time -- and add some salt to the water.
      salt can be added up to one teaspoon per US gallon or, if you've got
      scaleless fish, try one tablespoon per 5 US gallons. all of these
      things are best done in a hospital tank so as to avoid affecting your
      other fish.

      oh, remember to turn off your aquarium lights if you use QuickCure ..
      it's a dye base solution, and it's degraded (and made less effective)
      by light.

      jh.

      On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 11:10 PM, Sara <stm0903@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm not sure what ick looks like but one of my older fish has white
      > spots all over his body. He is the only one that has it and a few
      > days ago is the first time I noticed it. I have not had diseases
      > before so I do not know how to cure or treat this. Does this even
      > sound like ick or is it something else? What is the most effective
      > medication and treatment for whatever it is?  Please help, I don't
      > want to lose any of my fishies. :-)
    • Sara Coble
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
        Thanks so much for your advice. I'll try this and hopefully it will be treated.

        wrote:

        > I'm not sure what ick looks like but one of my older fish has white
        > spots all over his body. He is the only one that has it and a few
        > days ago is the first time I noticed it. I have not had diseases
        > before so I do not know how to cure or treat this. Does this even
        > sound like ick or is it something else? What is the most effective
        > medication and treatment for whatever it is? Please help, I don't
        > want to lose any of my fishies. :-)

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Jason Heyd
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
          just be careful if you use quickcure .. since it's dye-based, it can
          stain certain things in your tank ...

          jh.

          On Saturday, March 1, 2003, at 10:11 AM, Sara Coble wrote:

          > Thanks so much for your advice. I'll try this and hopefully it will be
          > treated.
        • randy prichard
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
            Jason Heyd <jasonheyd.yahoo@...> wrote:
            Jason Heyd, I find that using a little marine salt even in a fresh water tank does wonders for ick.About a teaspoon per gallon.
            Randy Prichard

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2003
              hi, randy. no doubt the salt can help. QuickCure's been a sure-fire
              things for me though. many folks prefer to go the non-medication route
              if possible, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that! :)

              jh.