Snails in my tank!

  • Sally Schilling
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2003
      Hello:

      Well, I have been having problems with algae in my tank... this morning when
      I went to feed the fish I saw teeny tiny snails in my tank! I have never
      had snails before... I can only surmise that they somehow got there when I
      purchased some plants... Now, the question is: What should I do? I don't
      want them to overtake my tank (30 gal hex)! Will they eat the algae? If
      they eat the algae, that's fine with me... but when they become large enough
      (there appear to be 5-6, if not more) how destructive can these mollusks
      get, also, how large can these little "suckers" get?

      All best wishes

      SallyEllen R. Schilling
      Wachusett American Eskimos
      Central Massachusetts

      AEDCONE (UKC) June 2003 show info will be available soon, but mark your
      calendars for June 21 and 22, 2003 to come to New England

      http://home.earthlink.net/~wachusett_eskies
      <http://home.earthlink.net/~wachusett_eskies>
      http://home.earthlink.net/~aedcone <http://home.earthlink.net/~aedcone>
      American Eskimo Dog Club of New England (UKC)
      http://naedac.topcities.com <http://naedac.topcities.com>
      National American Eskimo Dog Association of Canada (CKC affiliated)

    • ...Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2003
        On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Sally Schilling wrote:
        > Well, I have been having problems with algae in my tank... this morning when
        > I went to feed the fish I saw teeny tiny snails in my tank! I have never
        > had snails before... I can only surmise that they somehow got there when I
        > purchased some plants... Now, the question is: What should I do? I don't
        > want them to overtake my tank (30 gal hex)! Will they eat the algae? If
        > they eat the algae, that's fine with me... but when they become large enough
        > (there appear to be 5-6, if not more) how destructive can these mollusks
        > get, also, how large can these little "suckers" get?

        Snails will help eat the algae that tends to grow flat, like the stuff
        that usually sticks to the glass. They're not really a problem unless
        they start to be "all over the place" (a "snail explosion"), or if they're
        particularly large (when they'll start munching on your plants
        themselves). I wouldn't worry about it too much, the snails that come in
        on live plants are usually relatively small and harmless. I've had snail
        explosions happen before, but often what happens is they'll then start
        dying out until they reach some equilibrium with the tank...

        Just keep an eye on them, if it seems like there're too many, scoop a
        bunch out. :)

        I have one or two snails in my 25 gallon that came in on plants, their
        shells are about as big as a quarter, but the vast majority are small than
        a pencil eraser.

        ...Paul

        ** Have a question that reality just can't answer? **
        "Any sufficiently advanced form of magic is
        indistinguishable from technology."
      • Aiahz
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 26, 2003
          Be aware of snail, a snail explosion is not a easy
          thing to get rid of. but since you dont have big one,
          all you have to do is get rid of the eggs, they are
          like little jelly bubbles.

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 26, 2003
            --- Sally Schilling <Sally_Schilling@...> wrote:
            > I can only surmise that they somehow got there when I
            > purchased some plants...

            That is how they usually get introduced.

            > Now, the question is: What should I do?

            Might be useful to you... see my snail control article...

            http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/snail_faq.html

            =====
            Patrick Timlin ptimlin@...

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/