Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Digest Number 165

  • Thomas Zaccone
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2003
      I think you should use something cheap and expendible as starter fish - like
      zebras.

      When you say "large fish" you have to decide what kind of "large fish" you
      want. A 55 gallon tank is large, but a large of really large cichlids would
      feel cramped in it.

      You might want to try angelfish, but they are VERY sensitive to ammonia and
      most people recommend not trying to stock with them until the tank has been
      up and running for several months. That has been my personal experience
      also.

      Some smaller species of West African Cichlids might be nice, but they need
      very hard water and you might have to add some salt solution to your water
      for them.

      Firemouth Cichlids are nice, but with cihclids you have to expect fighting,
      especially if you have a breeding pair. I have a 90 gallon which I stocked
      with angelfish and some tetras - bleeding hearts ( a nice large tetra).

      Loiselle wote a very good book on Cichlids and their care in the aquarium.

      When one of the pairs of angelfish breed, they will drive all the other fish
      away from half the tank where they are breeding. I had a pair of Kribs who
      used to do the same thing. One solution is not to keep a pair of any kind,
      just males.

      I think a full grown Oscar (they can reach 12") is about the only occupant
      you could keep comfortably in a 55 gallon tank.

      Another negative with most Cichlids - Angelfish are an exception - is they
      love to dig and will rip up plants.

      You might want to look into rainbowfish. Some of them get pretty big - like
      the bosemanni - 4-5" long. You could keep a lot of them in a 55 gallon.
      They are fairly hardly, colorful and relatively peaceful and they are still
      pulling new species out of New Guinea and Australia for the trade, as well
      as breeding them commercially.

      Sailfin mollies are nice, but difficult for the beginner. Mollies are NOT
      easy fish to keep.

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:10:35 -0000
      From: kvukov
      Subject: Help I'm New!!!

      Hi! I just got my first aquarium for my birthday (after years of
      wanting one) and I could use some advice on stocking! I have a
      55gallon long tank and it's been up and running (empty) for about 3
      days. My temp is stable at 79 and my PH is about 7.8. I am not sure
      yet what fish I want to get. I do know that I need to stock very
      very slowly to allow my tank to cycle properly. I want a few large
      fish rather than a lot of little ones. So I need some advice on some
      larger compatible fish and also advice on some good starter fish to
      cycle the tank which will be compatible with later inhabitants. I
      want to keep them rather than just use them to cycle my tank. I live
      on the east coast and have been snowed in for several days and
      everything around here is closed! I'm so excited to go get my fish
      but I want to do it right! Any advice and suggestions for stocking
      are welcomed! Thank you:)
    • Jason Heyd
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2003
        On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 08:31 AM, Thomas Zaccone wrote:

        > I think you should use something cheap and expendible as starter fish
        > - like
        > zebras.

        personally, i hate to think of any fish as "expendable" ... do consider
        fishless cycling as an alternative.

        jh.