3 dead fish from same store!

  • jsonghas
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hello,

      I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced something like
      this. I have purchased 3 fish from the same store. The first time I
      purchased a gourami and it died within a few days. A couple of weeks
      later, my wife purchased two female bettas and they died too. The
      first fish died within 2 days and the other died within 3 days.
      After the 3rd fish died we checked the receipt and it said they
      guaranteed them only for 24 hours. Doesn't that seem odd? Most
      places are 7-14 days for guarantee. Also, my water chemistry has
      been great. I would like to know what about these fish from that
      store causes them to die. Especially when I had just done a water
      change and all of my other fish appear fine. Also, I have not lost
      any fish that fast from any other store. Any thoughts???

      Thanks,
      Jason
    • ...Paul
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
        On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, jsonghas wrote:
        > places are 7-14 days for guarantee. Also, my water chemistry has
        > been great. I would like to know what about these fish from that
        > store causes them to die. Especially when I had just done a water
        > change and all of my other fish appear fine. Also, I have not lost
        > any fish that fast from any other store. Any thoughts???

        Well, while YOUR water chemistry might be great, do you know what kind of
        water chemistry your fish supplier has been using? Your fish could be
        reacting to the shock of being transplanted from one kind of environment
        to another. Think of this:

        You run a 7.0pH in hard water at 78 deg F (as an example). This is good
        water chemistry. Your fish store is keeping the gouramis in 7.4 pH with
        soft water and a touch of salt at 74 deg F. This is also good water
        chemistry. However, if you try to move a fish from one to the other very
        rapidly, you can put undue stress on the fish and this can cause a delayed
        reaction in the fish. Are you floating the bag from the fish store in
        your own tank for about an hour? Are you doing the "pour in a little of
        your own water every half hour" trick?

        If you are, you should really check the water chemistry of your store, it
        may be in great difference to your own. If you aren't, you should be --
        and it would still be useful to know how your store's water differs from
        your own.

        You also haven't said -- what else do you have in the tank? Do you have
        other fish in there that might be territorial, and attacking the new fish
        when you're not looking?

        ...Paul

        ** Have a question that reality just can't answer? **
      • gjnoronh
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
          --- In freshwateraquariums@y..., "...Paul" <cleggp@m...> wrote:>
          Well, while YOUR water chemistry might be great, do you know what
          kind of
          > water chemistry your fish supplier has been using? Your fish could
          be
          > reacting to the shock of being transplanted from one kind of
          environment
          > to another. Think of this:

          I can't beat Paul's comprehensive and insightful answer. On a less
          intelectual note. . .if your water chemistry really is great and you
          have had better luck with another store, I'd stay away from the
          questionable vendor.

          It could be a story of good quality care not agreeing with equally
          good but different care as Paul suggests.

          Or it could be a case of poor quality care. . .and someone skimming
          dead fish out of the store tank every day or two. (Though unlikely
          in a store that thinks to stock female betta's)

          -Gary N.