siamese algae eaters

  • horloge_parfait
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2002
      Just want to let everyone know that I went to a planted tank about 2
      months ago. Along with the plant order, I got six juvenile SAE's,
      which is the minimum number they will ship because they do better in
      groups of at least six. I was having severe algae problems and
      decided to try to get it under control using plants.

      The plants I received came as a habitat and it was recommended NOT to
      have any plecos in the tank, as they tend to uproot the plants with
      their snuffling around in the gravel. Well, I had a very nice pleco
      and decided to ignore their recommendation.

      The plants are doing fine, the SAE are great, within days they had
      cleaned up the terrible blue green algae I had and it no longer
      formed. They are very hungry little guys, though, and I found myself
      having to supply one zucchini slice and at least two full sinking
      wafers for algae eaters broken up into six pieces (that's 12 pieces
      of wafer, 2 for each SAE!) everyday along with all the regular flake
      food and frozen brine shrimp. It looked to me like the pleco wasn't
      getting anything to eat.

      A few days ago, he died. The poor thing must have been totally out-
      competed for the food supply: he probably was stressed out from not
      getting enough to eat.

      Just a warning to anyone considering the SAE's, which are incredibly
      great at keeping the tank clean. If you have any other bottom
      feeders, they may not be able to compete with these guys.