Re: cichlid pros

  • beetleman_07416
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2002
      if there is a wal-mart look their they carry a varitey of nice
      african ciclids and are in alot better health then most pet shops
    • amazon_dj
      Message 2 of 8 , May 14, 2002
        I just have a male and female apistogramma ,about 5 neons, 2 cory
        cats and 3 pearl danios in a 20 gallon tank. But if you put more than
        one male in the tanks they will be aggressive towards each other.
        You usually by the apisto's in a pair (male/female). We have other
        tanks that have the african cichlids but the smallest tank is 50
        gallons and the tank is entirely malawi africans.

        --- In freshwateraquariums@y..., "Scott Weber" <scott.weber@t...>
        wrote:
        > These do ok with the neon's....???
        >
        > How many of each do you have..?
        > I guess that could all depend on your tank size though..

        South
        > American Apisotgrama cichlds and they only get to be a 2.5
        inches
        > long and can get alon with other fish (just not other
        > Apistogrammas). I have a male and female in my community
        tank along
        > with neon tetras, cory cats, danios, and dwarf guarami. The
        larger
        > african cichlids do not get along with other fish. And they
        eat any
        > plants in the tank so you have to get plastic.
        >

        > --- In freshwateraquariums@y..., "Scott Weber"
        <scott.weber@t...>
        > wrote:
        > > Are there any on this list..?
        > >
        > > I'm Scott and new to this list and thought I would drop
        some
        > questions
        > > that I have been thinking of.
        > > I'm starting a new tank in about 3 weeks and trying to get
        > everything I
        > > know before I start...
        > >
        > > here we go....
        > >
        > > I'm trying to find out what other fish could be compatible
        with
        > > cichlids..
        > > I know there are many different types of cichlids though..
        > >
        > > I guess I'm trying to get some suggestions for a 29 gal
        tank..
        > > also trying to determine what live plants would be good as
        well..

        > > thanks for any help..
        > > Scott

        plastic or all
        > > glass
        > > one. Has anyone had any experience with the plastic
        ones, I
        > know
        > >
        > > they scratch easy which turns me off. any suggestions
        would
        > be
        > > helpful,,,,Thanks Phill
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > > Click Here!

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroup
        web/S=17
        > 05
        > > 417564:HM/A=1036975/R=0/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?
        code=3225>

        > > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        > M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egrou
        > > pmail/S=1705417564:HM/A=1036975/rand=145304968>

        Terms of

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > Click Here!
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05417564:HM/A=1036975/R=0/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3225>

        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupmail/S=1705417564:HM/A=103697
        5/rand=599208449>

      • Scott Weber
        Message 3 of 8 , May 14, 2002
          I did see some actually at the local one here.. But didnt see them with any others..

          But will a 29gal be ok for there size..
          Or my water conditions..?
          (which I still have to get tested)

          Message 4 of 8 , May 14, 2002
            African cichlids like an 8.0 ph. Just figure that most of the
            africans will be 4 inches when full grown and you don't want to have
            more that 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. The only large african
            cichlid (greater than 4 inches) that I have seen at some of the
            regular pet stores is the Venustus. These have yellow with large
            brown spots (like a giraffe). They are very small when juvenile but
            get to be about 10 inches long and need a 75 gallon tank. You should
            be ok with a electric yellows, kenyi, or johanni. Try to get one
            male and a few females to decrease aggression. There is a great
            cichlid site www.malawicichlidhomepage.com

            wrote:
            > I did see some actually at the local one here.. But didnt see them
            with any others..

            > But will a 29gal be ok for there size..
            > Or my water conditions..?
            > (which I still have to get tested)

          • Scott Weber
            Message 5 of 8 , May 14, 2002
              I appreciate your help\advice on this..

              One other thing if you dont mind..

              On another list I'm on, some people advised to get the aquaclear 300 filter and ebo heaters..?

              what do you think about these...?

              wrote:
              > I did see some actually at the local one here.. But didnt see them
              with any others..

              > But will a 29gal be ok for there size..
              > Or my water conditions..?
              > (which I still have to get tested)

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.2053425.3521449.1829184/D=egroupmail/S=1705417564:HM/A=1036975/rand=531342075>

            • amazon_dj
              Message 6 of 8 , May 14, 2002
                We usually get the eheim filters, just check with your local fish
                store and they'll set you up with a good filter and heater. Have
                fun :-)