[Freshwater Aquariums] Re: Plants and pH

  • rivers3749093
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002

      > What about if you want to raise the pH of a planted tank?
      >
      > ...Paul

      to raise the ph try adding baking soda.What is the ph in your tank?
      I have a planted tank that the ph is at 6.5,thats about where it
      should be for growing plants.If you adjust the ph to much it will
      become unstable an could crash,killing all the fish.It's not
      something you do unless you have a really sensitive fish to a certain
      ph conditions, like diskus,or are trying to breed certain fish.
    • ...Paul
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
        On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, rivers3749093 wrote:
        > > What about if you want to raise the pH of a planted tank?

        > to raise the ph try adding baking soda.What is the ph in your tank?
        > I have a planted tank that the ph is at 6.5,thats about where it
        > should be for growing plants.If you adjust the ph to much it will
        > become unstable an could crash,killing all the fish.It's not
        > something you do unless you have a really sensitive fish to a certain
        > ph conditions, like diskus,or are trying to breed certain fish.

        It tests out around 6.0, possibly lower (that's as far as the test goes).
        Almost no hardness... How much baking soda? It's a 25 gallon tank.

        ...Paul

        ** Have a question that reality just can't answer? **
      • rivers3749093
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2002

          > It tests out around 6.0, possibly lower (that's as far as the test
          goes).
          > Almost no hardness... How much baking soda? It's a 25 gallon tank.
          >
          > ...Paul

          You need to raise the hardness first,you could try Equilibrium by
          Sea Chem.This will buffer your tank to keep large ph swings from
          killing all the fish.Your plants also need the minerals in the water.
          If your ph is 6.0 that not to far off for plants,you just want to
          keep it stable.There are other ways to raise the
          kh/gh of the water but I am not shure how.When you add the baking
          soda add a teaspoon then wait a day the test an add more if
          needed.This way you raise the ph slowly to give your fish time to get
          use to the change.Raising an lowering ph is something you usally dont
          want to mess with,try adjusting the kh/gh first.Hoped this
          helped,good luck.
        • cat_paw2000
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2002
            you should generally not mess with your water's pH.

            keep what ever has adapted or bred for your water type.

            if you keep mostly bred in captivity fish you should not have any
            problems.

            my angels have produced several thousand babies. I live in the
            north east, and have mildly hard and slightly alkaline water. Yet
            they breed like rabbits.

            by not messing with the water, other then to keep it clean, well
            airated and such I can keep nearly 80% of the fish that are
            considered normal for our hobby.

            indeed i have had over 20 speci breed in my aquarium.

            frankly I don't even bother to test. a pH test is useful to let you
            know if a fish has died (and is not obvious) or something like that.
            But once you know your water parameters (ie:general hardness and pH)
            I find with regular water changes they remain fairly consistant.

            in my humble opinion anyway.

            my point, keep only fish that will live, and hopefull thrive in the
            water you get out of the tap (ok:i use a declor, and sometime use
            blackwater tonic)
          • Margie Phelps
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2002
              What is "black water tonic" and what does it fo?
              me

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • evey_734
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2002
                --- In freshwateraquariums@y..., abbynemy <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > How do I safely adjust the pH level in a planted aquarium? I was
                > using Aquarium Pharmacuriclas Proper pH until I read on their
                website
                > to not use it with live plants. It removes nutrients from the
                water
                > the plants need. A few days after adding this to my tank my
                plants
                > started to turn brown and lose leaves.
                >
                > Randy

                Did all of your plants die? I just added that stuff to my tank
                today. Is there anything I can do to help them not die???
              • abbynemy
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2002
                  I did a water change and added leaf zone. After about a week they
                  turned green and healthy again.

                  Randy, Michigan

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 25, 2002
                    --- What is Leaf Zone. I have not ever heard of this. Who is it
                    made by??
                    Thanks

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 25, 2002
                      On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, evey_734 wrote:
                      > --- What is Leaf Zone. I have not ever heard of this. Who is it
                      > made by??

                      Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, I believe. It's just a liquid fertilizer,
                      designed to be added to your tank by the teaspoonful every so often. Not
                      sure what the chemical composition is...