Re: New tank

  • nharabhorse
    Message 1 of 2683 , May 31, 2001
      Good post, and I agree with everything except the
      last part of:<br><br>"Just be smart and dont try to
      load your tank full of fish the first day. put a few
      small inexpensive fish in there and let it work for
      about 5 weeks. it should be totally cycled
      then."<br><br>After 5 or 6 weeks the tank will be fully cycled *to
      the level needed to support those few fish, only*.
      Adding more fish will necessitate continuing the cycling
      as the bioload grows. The bacterial filter will only
      be as big as the ammonia and nitrite generated to
      feed it will support, and a tank will never be fully
      cycled until it has its full bioload.<br><br>(An
      alternative is fishless cycling, which substitutes ammonia
      for the full fish bioload, and can fully cycle a
      tank, completely, with no fish. For the curious, here's
      the technique:
      charm.)
      Message 2683 of 2683 , Jan 26, 2007