Re: Ashwaganda and glutathione peroxidase

  • whiskeyheuning
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
      "boogie_check" <boogie_check@...> wrote:
      I read somewhere that millet reduces thyroid hormones, so that may be why you had difficulty sleeping. Thyroid affects the ability to sleep soundly.

      Thanks very much, boogie_check, I did not know that - it probably did contribute. My post was obviously not very clear. I wanted to find out whether it's a good idea to use ashwaganda, as it increases glutathione peroxidase. I am also using DHEA and have read that Dr Cutler has said that DHEA also increases glutathione levels. I was concerned about this because I have read that glutathione redistributes the mercury in the body.
      I often feel overwhelmed by all the information available, but have now managed to read more about glutathione and cysteine. This statement from Dr Cutler was helpful: "The problem is that the glutathione - SH and cysteine stirs up the large amount of mercury that is already IN the brain. People need the right amount of cysteine. About half of mercury toxic people need to eat more, and about half need to exclude it from their diets." As I understand it now, I probably have low glutathione levels anyway, so increasing it by using ashwaganda and DHEA might actually be helpful. But I need to establish my plasma cysteine levels, and I can do that through the sulphur exclusion trial. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
      Thanks! WH
    • JoeGrane
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
        Cutler has instructions in AI book for increasing and preserving glutathione.

        This fairly new test includes cysteine but not sulfate that the great smokies test used to include.
        DDI Methylation / Plasma Cysteine Test: http://doctorsdata.com/test_info.asp?id=156 http://doctorsdata.com/images/Dialog%20Spring%202011.pdf http://doctorsdata.com/repository.asp?id=2577

        If you get the test please let us know if the results seem to be consistent with the sulfur exclusion diet and symptoms. We don't yet know how well the test results correlate with symptoms.

        --- In frequent-dose-chelation@yahoogroups.com, "whiskeyheuning" <healthcop@...> wrote:

        > ... I probably have low glutathione levels anyway, so increasing it by using ashwaganda and DHEA might actually be helpful. But I need to establish my plasma cysteine levels, and I can do that through the sulphur exclusion trial. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
        > Thanks! WH

      • lindajaytee
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
          --- In frequent-dose-chelation@yahoogroups.com, "whiskeyheuning" <healthcop@...> wrote:

          > "boogie_check" <boogie_check@> wrote:
          > I read somewhere that millet reduces thyroid hormones, so that may be why you had difficulty sleeping. Thyroid affects the ability to sleep soundly.
          >
          > Thanks very much, boogie_check, I did not know that - it probably did contribute. My post was obviously not very clear. I wanted to find out whether it's a good idea to use ashwaganda, as it increases glutathione peroxidase.

          ++that's ok

          > I am also using DHEA and have read that Dr Cutler has said that DHEA also increases glutathione levels. I was concerned about this because I have read that glutathione redistributes the mercury in the body.

          +++DHEA would encourage the natural body processes. There would be regulation. that is much different from glutathione by IV where the amount of glutathione is suddenly pushed to levels way higher than natural physiological levels.

          > I often feel overwhelmed by all the information available, but have now managed to read more about glutathione and cysteine. This statement from Dr Cutler was helpful: "The problem is that the glutathione - SH and cysteine stirs up the large amount of mercury that is already IN the brain. People need the right amount of cysteine. About half of mercury toxic people need to eat more, and about half need to exclude it from their diets." As I understand it now, I probably have low glutathione levels anyway, so increasing it by using ashwaganda and DHEA might actually be helpful. But I need to establish my plasma cysteine levels, and I can do that through the sulphur exclusion trial. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

          +++That's right.

          Linda

          > Thanks! WH

        • ozdooley
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
            I just wanted to note that I have been taking Ashwagandha for about 9 months now, and feel it's a big help in supporting my adrenal glands. I take two capsules in the morning, one at midday and two at night. I also take one in the night if I wake in the wee hours (which has been happening a lot lately), and it amazingly always allows me to get back to sleep, usually fairly quickly.

            On the thyroid front, if you are not familiar with the other "goitrogenic" foods, you should investigate that. The ones I can remember are soy, millet, peaches, strawberries, peanuts and cruciferous vegetables if not cooked thoroughly (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts,etc).

            Cheers, Dorothy

            --- In frequent-dose-chelation@yahoogroups.com, "whiskeyheuning" <healthcop@...> wrote:

            > "boogie_check" <boogie_check@> wrote:
            > I read somewhere that millet reduces thyroid hormones, so that may be why you had difficulty sleeping. Thyroid affects the ability to sleep soundly.
            >
            > Thanks very much, boogie_check, I did not know that - it probably did contribute. My post was obviously not very clear. I wanted to find out whether it's a good idea to use ashwaganda, as it increases glutathione peroxidase. I am also using DHEA and have read that Dr Cutler has said that DHEA also increases glutathione levels. I was concerned about this because I have read that glutathione redistributes the mercury in the body.
            > I often feel overwhelmed by all the information available, but have now managed to read more about glutathione and cysteine. This statement from Dr Cutler was helpful: "The problem is that the glutathione - SH and cysteine stirs up the large amount of mercury that is already IN the brain. People need the right amount of cysteine. About half of mercury toxic people need to eat more, and about half need to exclude it from their diets." As I understand it now, I probably have low glutathione levels anyway, so increasing it by using ashwaganda and DHEA might actually be helpful. But I need to establish my plasma cysteine levels, and I can do that through the sulphur exclusion trial. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
            > Thanks! WH

          • valerie francis
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
              can you share what brand of ashwagandha you use and where you get it?
              Thanks,
              Val

              On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:52 PM, ozdooley <dnuess@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I just wanted to note that I have been taking Ashwagandha for about 9
              > months now, and feel it's a big help in supporting my adrenal glands. I
              > take two capsules in the morning, one at midday and two at night. I also
              > take one in the night if I wake in the wee hours (which has been happening
              > a lot lately), and it amazingly always allows me to get back to sleep,
              > usually fairly quickly.
              >
              > On the thyroid front, if you are not familiar with the other "goitrogenic"
              > foods, you should investigate that. The ones I can remember are soy,
              > millet, peaches, strawberries, peanuts and cruciferous vegetables if not
              > cooked thoroughly (broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts,etc).
              >
              > Cheers, Dorothy
              >

              > --- In frequent-dose-chelation@yahoogroups.com, "whiskeyheuning"
              > <healthcop@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > "boogie_check" <boogie_check@> wrote:
              > > I read somewhere that millet reduces thyroid hormones, so that may be
              > why you had difficulty sleeping. Thyroid affects the ability to sleep
              > soundly.
              > >
              > > Thanks very much, boogie_check, I did not know that - it probably did
              > contribute. My post was obviously not very clear. I wanted to find out
              > whether it's a good idea to use ashwaganda, as it increases glutathione
              > peroxidase. I am also using DHEA and have read that Dr Cutler has said that
              > DHEA also increases glutathione levels. I was concerned about this because
              > I have read that glutathione redistributes the mercury in the body.
              >
              > > I often feel overwhelmed by all the information available, but have now
              > managed to read more about glutathione and cysteine. This statement from Dr
              > Cutler was helpful: "The problem is that the glutathione - SH and cysteine
              > stirs up the large amount of mercury that is already IN the brain. People
              > need the right amount of cysteine. About half of mercury toxic people need
              > to eat more, and about half need to exclude it from their diets." As I
              > understand it now, I probably have low glutathione levels anyway, so
              > increasing it by using ashwaganda and DHEA might actually be helpful. But I
              > need to establish my plasma cysteine levels, and I can do that through the
              > sulphur exclusion trial. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
              > > Thanks! WH

            • ozdooley
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
                Hi Val,

                I take the Jarrow brand and I get them from iherb.com.

                Cheers, Dorothy