hello

  • gothic_over_lord
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2003
      I'm just writing to say that I work for the department of
      corrections. The unit I work for is one of the best in the system and
      I can tell you this. The dark picture of prison life that you see in
      the movies is no longer (at least at my unit, I don't really know
      about the others)

      The corrections officers recieve intenstive training in race
      relations, personal conduct and managment. Those who cross the line
      get escorted to the front gates, their ID is taken away from them and
      they are sent to the unemployment line. If the case is serious
      enought, they exchange their blues for inmate whites.

      The unit is split. Those inmates that are passive or that might be
      preyed upon by others are housed in a different section of the unit
      and contact with the more aggressive inmates is restricted.

      The food is outstanding as far as instutional food goes. Most of the
      employees infact eat the same food as the inmates.

      They do have a system where inmates recieve privages for behaving.
      These include better work, increased visitation, increased freedom of
      movement on the grounds and in the case of the highest classification
      1B, they even are allowed to go home for 1 week out of the year
      (monitored of course)

      The state work that they do is regulated. If its too hot or cold,
      they don't work. If they do work, they work in teams with one on rest
      and the other working. Those of lower classifications work at
      lawnmowing, raising food for the unit, etc. Some of those in the
      upper levels are sent around the area to work for the local
      goverment. These are highly sought for work assignments because of
      being able to travel off the farm and being feed by the county,
      (usually cheeseburgers & fries).

      I will tell you what the system needs though, and that is more
      correction officers. Not to keep the inmates behind bars, but to
      ensure that the protection of the inmates is maintained.