A sentence too close to death

  • LINDA TANT MILLER
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2008
      A VERY POWERFUL POST!

      http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe->
      hall27mar27,1,3039092.story?track=rss
      From the Los Angeles Times
      A sentence too close to death

      Wrongly convicted, I am proof that the state should reconsider
      execution.
      By Harold Hall

      March 27, 2008

      Ialmost died for someone else's crime. Had the jury listened to the
      prosecutor, I would have been sent to death row, and even might have
      been executed by now. Instead, I spent nearly 20 years in prison
      before new evidence proved my innocence and I was able to walk away a
      free man.

      I'm far from the only one who lost decades of my life wrongfully
      imprisoned. Dozens like me have been exonerated by DNA or other new
      evidence. Just last week, 56-year-old Willie Earl Green was released
      in Los Angeles after the sole eyewitness in his case recanted. He'd
      done 24 years of a 33-year-to-life sentence at San Quentin.

      I was 18 years old in 1985 when the police in South L.A. arrested me
      for a double homicide and rape. I was interrogated for 17
      excruciating hours, handcuffed to a chair and denied food and water.
      The police claimed that they had evidence proving my guilt. I was
      young and scared and desperate to stop the abuse -- so I told the
      police what they wanted to hear. I was wrongfully convicted based on
      that coerced confession and the false testimony of a jailhouse
      informant.

      The jury sentenced me to life in prison without parole. Some might
      say I was lucky; I had escaped the executioner's needle.

      But after spending nearly 20 years in a living hell, I can't really
      see it that way. No matter which prison I was in -- Lancaster,
      Folsom, Corcoran -- I was under constant surveillance, stripped of
      any privacy or autonomy. I was at the mercy of the prison guards, who
      could make my life as miserable as they wished. I lived in constant
      fear of prison lockdowns, which could last for months; we would not
      be allowed out of our cells and could take only "bird baths" in the
      cell sink.

      I refused to let my family visit me. Contact with the outside world
      had become unbearable. I didn't want to hear stories of family
      outings or other outside news. That life was over unless I could
      prove my innocence. I had not been sentenced to execution, but I had
      been sentenced to die in prison.

      Because I was sentenced to life without parole, exoneration was my
      only chance for release. I repeatedly asked for DNA testing of the
      evidence in my case, but for years my request was denied by the
      courts. In 2003, a court looked again at the jailhouse informant and
      granted me a new trial. As a result, the DNA evidence was finally
      tested, proving my innocence. In 2004, I was finally free.

      I returned to Los Angeles a very different man. Living in prison
      without hope of parole is a horrible punishment that breaks a person
      down. I maintained my sanity, but I met inmates who would gladly have
      accepted execution rather than continue living in those conditions.

      As horrible as this sentence is, it does give the state an
      opportunity for redemption: When an inmate like me proves his
      innocence, at least the state can set him free. No one can give me
      back those 19 years of my life, but I am thankful I am here today.

      Ruben Cantu was not so lucky. Cantu was just 26 when Texas executed
      him in 1993. Now, even the prosecutor who sent Cantu to his death
      thinks that he was probably innocent, the victim of mistaken
      eyewitness identification and a court system that sacrifices accuracy
      in the name of efficiency. We know that 127 innocent men and women
      have been freed from death rows in the U.S. since 1973. What we will
      never know is how many innocent people have been executed.

      On Friday, the California Commission on the Fair Administration of
      Justice will hold its third and final hearing about problems with the
      state's death penalty, including the length of appeals, access to
      lawyers and wrongful convictions. The commission will then begin
      three months of deliberations and draft a report to the Legislature.
      Among the questions the commission must grapple with is this: Can
      California's broken death penalty be fixed, and if so, at what price?
      But given all the problems -- and the stakes -- the commission should
      tell the Legislature, and the people of California, that it is time
      to reconsider whether we need to seek executions at all.

      We have an alternative. Sentencing people to die in prison of old age
      and illness punishes without pretending that we have a foolproof
      legal system. I'm a living example that we don't. Sadly, Ruben Cantu
      cannot say the same.

      Harold Hall works for the Indigent Criminal Defense Appointments
      Program of the Los Angeles County Bar Assn.

      Copyright 2008 Los Angeles Times ._,_.___

      Recent Activity
      a.. 2New Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PrisonNewsNetwork/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlM2NrNHUzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM4Mzg5NQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUzMDUxODAEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3RpbWUDMTIwNjYwMjIxNA-->
      Best of Y! Groups
      Check it out<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13o65dpg6/M=493064.12016306.12445698.8674578/D=groups/S=1705305180:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1206609414/L=/B=bkAOAEJe5tM-/J=1206602214766448/A=4763759/R=0/SIG=11ou7otip/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/bestofyahoogroups/>

      and nominate your

      group to be featured.

      Move More
      on Yahoo! Groups<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ph2ufg9/M=493064.12016299.12445691.11322765/D=groups/S=1705305180:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1206609414/L=/B=b0AOAEJe5tM-/J=1206602214766448/A=4990216/R=0/SIG=11d53kq3t/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/curves/>

      This is your life

      not a phys-ed class.

      Do-It-Yourselfers
      Find Y! Groups<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ob32fju/M=493064.12117566.12537396.8674578/D=groups/S=1705305180:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1206609414/L=/B=cEAOAEJe5tM-/J=1206602214766448/A=5170409/R=0/SIG=11gfoiqic/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/craftsman/>

      on Lawn & garden,

      homes and autos.
      .