20%-30% of Arkansas prisoners are FACTUALLY INNOCENT

  • Linda Tant Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2004
      The person who made that statement to me is Retired Arkansas Supreme Court Justice, John I. Purtle. He has made the same statement to several friends of mine and of course, HE is in a position to KNOW.

      That means that every time anyone sees 10 Arkansas prisoners standing in a group, 2 or 3 of them shouldn't be there.

      That's a lot of people!

      Justice Purtle told me that what happens is that when there is a crime committed in Arkansas, the police pick up whomever is available who doesn't have a rock-solid alibi and threaten them with a life sentence, unless they take a "deal" for 5 or 10 years.

      He said that since they KNOW there is NO PAROLE on ANY life sentences in Arkansas, most, even though they're innocent, will take the "deal" simply because they don't have the money to - in his own words - "fight the good ol boy justice system" - and they would rather sacrifice 5 or 10 years than face the possibility of a life-means-life sentence.

      Judge Purtle has been on both sides of the good ol' boy justice system. He was such a "maverick" on the Arkansas Supreme Court - since his focus was on JUSTICE rather than cronyism - that they finally got so tired of him telling THE TRUTH in his written opinions, that they actually set him up and had him charged with arson.

      He went to trial, was exonerated, then went back on the Bench and REALLY gave them hell for a few years. Finally he retired from the Bench stating that he could "be a voice of one for truth and justice in Arkansas forever without making a difference" and saying that he was too old and tired to keep trying.

      He is a remarkable man. A remarkably brave man, and a true Arkansas Hero.

      John Thomas Moss is one of the 20% to 30% of innocent people in Arkansas prisons. Because he KNEW he was innocent and DIDN'T KNOW about how Arkansas justice works, he refused to take the "deal", trusting the court to see justice done.

      For 23 years John has suffered under the heel of injustice. Please help him and those who love him, receive delayed justice.

      Please sign and forward his petition
      http://www.petitiononline.com/johnmoss/petition.html

      Peace and blessings,
      LINDA TANT MILLER
      Prison Reform Unity Project (PRUP)
      http://www.prup.us
      October 16 is
      PRISON REFORM UNITY DAY 2004
      A society of sheep must in time beget a
      government of wolves - Bertrand de Juvenal