Re: [FSP] Accessibility & usefulness of the FreeState forum pages?

  • Brian Murray
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4 11:42 PM
      On Tuesday 04 March 2003 07:27 am, jason.sorens@... wrote:

      > If you upgrade to Netscape 6.2, it's quick as a whip. I know, 6.2 is a
      > bit difficult to get used to if you've used 4.7- for a long time. But
      > you can switch to the classic interface in 6.2, and its features really
      > are superior.

      That'd be a downgrade. I'm using 7.02. The problem isn't Netscape, or any
      other browser, but YaBB SE. It generates bloated duct-tape HTML. Consider
      the output from the link given earlier in this thread:

      http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1148

      84 tables nested up to 6 levels deep. 95,346 bytes of page, excluding
      graphics, to display 23,788 bytes of content. It's about 75% markup language
      and 25% of what's being marked up. That's a lot of wasted bandwidth. In all
      that bloat is a mix, for the declared doctype, of valid and deprecated
      attributes and invalid attribute values. Its CSS is in-line and so
      downloaded by browsers that don't understand it. Again, wasted bandwidth.
      There's plenty more wrong with its HTML and the PHP behind it. Rather than
      recommending that visitors use certain browsers, perhaps it's time to
      consider different forum software.

      --
      Never let your schooling interfere with your education.