Re: [FSP] Digest Number 491

  • Heather James
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 6:12 AM
      On Monday 03 March 2003 06:23, freestateproject@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
      > do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
      > access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!
      > My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
      > While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
      > when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
      > downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.
      > When I post a Reply, like this one, I click on "REPLY" wait for the
      > page to download, type in my message, click send, then wait while it
      > downloads a page that tells me my message has been posted,
      > click "CONTINUE", and wait for the message I replied to, to download
      > again, then click "NEXT" to download the next message.

      If you can at all, use a regular email program (Netscape, Oulook Express,
      KMail, etc.) Have your messages sent to that program, either by changing the
      address to that given you or available to you through your internet provider.
      You can have your yahoo address mail sent there, too, but yahoo charges for
      this, nowadays, which is why my yahoo account is nothing but a spam-catcher
      now. Getting the list messages in a computer-based email program is much
      faster than any of the other options.

      --
      "I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
      And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5 1:09 AM
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Heather James
        <heatherj@y...> wrote:

        > If you can at all, use a regular email program (Netscape, Outlook
        Express,
        > KMail, etc.) Have your messages sent to that program, either by
        changing the
        > address to that given you or available to you through your internet
        provider.
        > You can have your yahoo address mail sent there, too, but yahoo
        charges for
        > this, nowadays, which is why my yahoo account is nothing but a spam-
        catcher
        > now. Getting the list messages in a computer-based email program
        is much
        > faster than any of the other options.

        I also use m Yahoo address mostly as a Spam catcher, and I need to
        keep my POP3 Account clear for business use.
        That leaves me reading the Groups on the Webpages, which is
        slooooooowwww!
        Motie
      • RavenBlack
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5 3:09 PM
          >I also use m Yahoo address mostly as a Spam catcher, and I need to
          >keep my POP3 Account clear for business use.
          >That leaves me reading the Groups on the Webpages, which is
          >slooooooowwww!

          A possible way around this, depending on what software you use for
          your email - add a filter that puts any email with [FSP] in the
          subject line into a different mailbox, and deletes it from the
          server. That way your POP3 account would be kept, not quite clear,
          but pretty much unimpeded by the FSP traffic, and you won't ever
          have to touch a Yahoo webpage (except once to configure it to send
          stuff as email).

          I don't know how well Outlook handles such things these days, but
          it must surely do at least as well as Eudora Light 3.0, which is
          about six years out of date and handles such operations fine.

          --RavenBlack