Re: [FSP] Accessibility & usefulness of the FreeState forum pages?

  • Brian Murray
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
      On Thursday 27 February 2003 01:27 am, galtsgulchco wrote:
      > There are some here that I recognize as regulars from the forum pages.
      > http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php
      > Zxcv, RobertH, Exitus, FreedomRoad, I and many others have poured
      > a huge wealth of research and analysis into those forum pages.
      > Who here has found that material easy to access, read and respond to?
      > What have been your experiences?

      Most of the time I use one of three browsers, Navigator, Konqueror and Lynx.
      The site works for Navigator, eventually, but it's far too slow to be usable.
      For Konqueror and Lynx the pages display soon enough but the site doesn't
      work. For all three the problem is the same; the forum software spits out
      lousy HTML. It substitutes heavily nested tables for good table structure.
      For a list of other HTML issues just click the
      'http://validator.w3.org/check/referer' link at the bottom of any page where
      it shows. I wouldn't mind seeing it replaced with something friendlier to
      more OSes and more browsers than is YaBB SE.

      --
      We should have a Vollyballocracy. We elect a six-pack of presidents.
      Each one serves until they screw up, at which point they rotate.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
        Quoting Brian Murray <itvegas@...>:

        > On Thursday 27 February 2003 01:27 am, galtsgulchco wrote:
        > > There are some here that I recognize as regulars from the forum
        > pages.
        > > http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php
        > > Zxcv, RobertH, Exitus, FreedomRoad, I and many others have poured
        > > a huge wealth of research and analysis into those forum pages.
        > > Who here has found that material easy to access, read and respond
        > to?
        > > What have been your experiences?
        >
        > Most of the time I use one of three browsers, Navigator, Konqueror
        > and Lynx.
        > The site works for Navigator, eventually, but it's far too slow to be
        > usable.

        If you upgrade to Netscape 6.2, it's quick as a whip. I know, 6.2 is a
        bit difficult to get used to if you've used 4.7- for a long time. But
        you can switch to the classic interface in 6.2, and its features really
        are superior.
      • Brian Murray
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
          On Tuesday 04 March 2003 07:27 am, jason.sorens@... wrote:

          > If you upgrade to Netscape 6.2, it's quick as a whip. I know, 6.2 is a
          > bit difficult to get used to if you've used 4.7- for a long time. But
          > you can switch to the classic interface in 6.2, and its features really
          > are superior.

          That'd be a downgrade. I'm using 7.02. The problem isn't Netscape, or any
          other browser, but YaBB SE. It generates bloated duct-tape HTML. Consider
          the output from the link given earlier in this thread:

          http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1148

          84 tables nested up to 6 levels deep. 95,346 bytes of page, excluding
          graphics, to display 23,788 bytes of content. It's about 75% markup language
          and 25% of what's being marked up. That's a lot of wasted bandwidth. In all
          that bloat is a mix, for the declared doctype, of valid and deprecated
          attributes and invalid attribute values. Its CSS is in-line and so
          downloaded by browsers that don't understand it. Again, wasted bandwidth.
          There's plenty more wrong with its HTML and the PHP behind it. Rather than
          recommending that visitors use certain browsers, perhaps it's time to
          consider different forum software.

          --
          Never let your schooling interfere with your education.