Re: [FSP] Digest Number 489

  • Jason P Sorens
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
      On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, motie_d wrote:

      > Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
      > do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
      > access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!

      Yahoo groups could be classified as either forums or email lists,
      depending on how you receive your messages. You can choose to "edit
      membership" and get the messages sent to your email box. This is by far
      the best option; I don't know why anyone would do it otherwise. The web
      interface for Yahoo groups is horrible.

      FWIW, what I like about our official FSP forum is that you can view full
      threads and see how discussions develop. Also, the fact that it is
      slightly less easy to post messages than on an email list means that
      messages tend to be better thought out and generally of higher quality
      than you get on some of the email lists.

      > My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
      > While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
      > when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
      > downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.

      Oh my, you're accessing the group through the web. You ought to change
      your membership so that the messages go to your email box! Much more
      convenient.

      > Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.

      Hm...then you may want to use another email service! Your ISP should
      probably have its own email service that you can use, either with its own
      software or with a program like Outlook Express or Eudora.

      Further discussion about this should be through private email; I posted it
      to the list because I don't know your email address, motie (it's not
      listed in your messages or the members list for this group).

      Jason P Sorens - jason.sorensATyale.edu - <http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35>

      <http://www.freestateproject.org> - Do you want liberty in your lifetime?