Re:Access to FSP forums is a PITA

  • galtsgulchco
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
      Is anyone else here having these problems with access?

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, motie_d <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "George Wilson"
      > <njliberty@e...> wrote:
      > > I have to agree with Heather, while the FSP forums are better than
      > many, they are still not as effective as email lists. I belong to
      > nine political email lists, and a half a dozen genealogical ones, and
      > would not belong to more than two or three total if they were forums.
      > It is easier to follow specific threads in the lists than in the
      > forums, and much more convenient being able to open one mailbox to
      > read the various lists rather than have to go online and actively go
      > through the various forums.
      > >
      > > George
      > >

      > Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
      > do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
      > access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!
      > My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
      > While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
      > when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
      > downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.
      > When I post a Reply, like this one, I click on "REPLY" wait for the
      > page to download, type in my message, click send, then wait while it
      > downloads a page that tells me my message has been posted,
      > click "CONTINUE", and wait for the message I replied to, to download
      > again, then click "NEXT" to download the next message.
      >
      > Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.
      >
      > This may be considered off-topic for this group, but if access is a
      > PITA, participation becomes a PITA.
      >
      > Motie
    • Jason P Sorens
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
        On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, motie_d wrote:

        > Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
        > do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
        > access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!

        Yahoo groups could be classified as either forums or email lists,
        depending on how you receive your messages. You can choose to "edit
        membership" and get the messages sent to your email box. This is by far
        the best option; I don't know why anyone would do it otherwise. The web
        interface for Yahoo groups is horrible.

        FWIW, what I like about our official FSP forum is that you can view full
        threads and see how discussions develop. Also, the fact that it is
        slightly less easy to post messages than on an email list means that
        messages tend to be better thought out and generally of higher quality
        than you get on some of the email lists.

        > My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
        > While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
        > when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
        > downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.

        Oh my, you're accessing the group through the web. You ought to change
        your membership so that the messages go to your email box! Much more
        convenient.

        > Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.

        Hm...then you may want to use another email service! Your ISP should
        probably have its own email service that you can use, either with its own
        software or with a program like Outlook Express or Eudora.

        Further discussion about this should be through private email; I posted it
        to the list because I don't know your email address, motie (it's not
        listed in your messages or the members list for this group).

        Jason P Sorens - jason.sorensATyale.edu - <http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35>

        <http://www.freestateproject.org> - Do you want liberty in your lifetime?