Re: [FSP] Digest Number 489

  • motie_d
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "George Wilson"
      <njliberty@e...> wrote:
      > I have to agree with Heather, while the FSP forums are better than
      many, they are still not as effective as email lists. I belong to
      nine political email lists, and a half a dozen genealogical ones, and
      would not belong to more than two or three total if they were forums.
      It is easier to follow specific threads in the lists than in the
      forums, and much more convenient being able to open one mailbox to
      read the various lists rather than have to go online and actively go
      through the various forums.

      > George

      Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
      do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
      access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!
      My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
      While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
      when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
      downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.
      When I post a Reply, like this one, I click on "REPLY" wait for the
      page to download, type in my message, click send, then wait while it
      downloads a page that tells me my message has been posted,
      click "CONTINUE", and wait for the message I replied to, to download
      again, then click "NEXT" to download the next message.

      Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.

      This may be considered off-topic for this group, but if access is a
      PITA, participation becomes a PITA.

      Motie
    • galtsgulchco
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
        Is anyone else here having these problems with access?

        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, motie_d <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "George Wilson"
        > <njliberty@e...> wrote:
        > > I have to agree with Heather, while the FSP forums are better than
        > many, they are still not as effective as email lists. I belong to
        > nine political email lists, and a half a dozen genealogical ones, and
        > would not belong to more than two or three total if they were forums.
        > It is easier to follow specific threads in the lists than in the
        > forums, and much more convenient being able to open one mailbox to
        > read the various lists rather than have to go online and actively go
        > through the various forums.
        > >
        > > George
        > >

        > Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
        > do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
        > access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!
        > My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
        > While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
        > when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
        > downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.
        > When I post a Reply, like this one, I click on "REPLY" wait for the
        > page to download, type in my message, click send, then wait while it
        > downloads a page that tells me my message has been posted,
        > click "CONTINUE", and wait for the message I replied to, to download
        > again, then click "NEXT" to download the next message.
        >
        > Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.
        >
        > This may be considered off-topic for this group, but if access is a
        > PITA, participation becomes a PITA.
        >
        > Motie
      • Jason P Sorens
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
          On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, motie_d wrote:

          > Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
          > do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
          > access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!

          Yahoo groups could be classified as either forums or email lists,
          depending on how you receive your messages. You can choose to "edit
          membership" and get the messages sent to your email box. This is by far
          the best option; I don't know why anyone would do it otherwise. The web
          interface for Yahoo groups is horrible.

          FWIW, what I like about our official FSP forum is that you can view full
          threads and see how discussions develop. Also, the fact that it is
          slightly less easy to post messages than on an email list means that
          messages tend to be better thought out and generally of higher quality
          than you get on some of the email lists.

          > My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
          > While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
          > when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
          > downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.

          Oh my, you're accessing the group through the web. You ought to change
          your membership so that the messages go to your email box! Much more
          convenient.

          > Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.

          Hm...then you may want to use another email service! Your ISP should
          probably have its own email service that you can use, either with its own
          software or with a program like Outlook Express or Eudora.

          Further discussion about this should be through private email; I posted it
          to the list because I don't know your email address, motie (it's not
          listed in your messages or the members list for this group).

          Jason P Sorens - jason.sorensATyale.edu - <http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35>

          <http://www.freestateproject.org> - Do you want liberty in your lifetime?