Re: [FSP] Digest Number 489

  • George Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      I have to agree with Heather, while the FSP forums are better than many, they are still not as effective as email lists. I belong to nine political email lists, and a half a dozen genealogical ones, and would not belong to more than two or three total if they were forums. It is easier to follow specific threads in the lists than in the forums, and much more convenient being able to open one mailbox to read the various lists rather than have to go online and actively go through the various forums.

      George

      Re: From: Heather James <heatherj@...>
      Re: Subject: Re: Digest Number 488
      Re: As web fora go, the FSP set-up is actually pretty good. That said, without a
      Re: high-speed net connection, fora are a pain in the butt. Too much switching
      Re: between web pages greatly slows read-and-response time, compared to the email
      Re: lists, delivered to my inbox. I don't read the email lists on the web for
      Re: the same reason. Email list postings deliverd to my inbox download in no
      Re: time, and read and response time is almost as fast as thought.

      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      Meet Singles
      http://corp.mail.com/lavalife
    • motie_d
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2003
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "George Wilson"
        <njliberty@e...> wrote:
        > I have to agree with Heather, while the FSP forums are better than
        many, they are still not as effective as email lists. I belong to
        nine political email lists, and a half a dozen genealogical ones, and
        would not belong to more than two or three total if they were forums.
        It is easier to follow specific threads in the lists than in the
        forums, and much more convenient being able to open one mailbox to
        read the various lists rather than have to go online and actively go
        through the various forums.

        > George

        Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
        do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
        access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!
        My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
        While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
        when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
        downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.
        When I post a Reply, like this one, I click on "REPLY" wait for the
        page to download, type in my message, click send, then wait while it
        downloads a page that tells me my message has been posted,
        click "CONTINUE", and wait for the message I replied to, to download
        again, then click "NEXT" to download the next message.

        Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.

        This may be considered off-topic for this group, but if access is a
        PITA, participation becomes a PITA.

        Motie
      • galtsgulchco
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
          Is anyone else here having these problems with access?

          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, motie_d <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "George Wilson"
          > <njliberty@e...> wrote:
          > > I have to agree with Heather, while the FSP forums are better than
          > many, they are still not as effective as email lists. I belong to
          > nine political email lists, and a half a dozen genealogical ones, and
          > would not belong to more than two or three total if they were forums.
          > It is easier to follow specific threads in the lists than in the
          > forums, and much more convenient being able to open one mailbox to
          > read the various lists rather than have to go online and actively go
          > through the various forums.
          > >
          > > George
          > >

          > Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
          > do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
          > access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!
          > My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
          > While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
          > when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
          > downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.
          > When I post a Reply, like this one, I click on "REPLY" wait for the
          > page to download, type in my message, click send, then wait while it
          > downloads a page that tells me my message has been posted,
          > click "CONTINUE", and wait for the message I replied to, to download
          > again, then click "NEXT" to download the next message.
          >
          > Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.
          >
          > This may be considered off-topic for this group, but if access is a
          > PITA, participation becomes a PITA.
          >
          > Motie
        • Jason P Sorens
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
            On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, motie_d wrote:

            > Maybe you can give me a hint on how to speed up my participation? How
            > do you classify this group? As a forum, email list, or other? I
            > access it online with a dial-up account, and it is SLOW!

            Yahoo groups could be classified as either forums or email lists,
            depending on how you receive your messages. You can choose to "edit
            membership" and get the messages sent to your email box. This is by far
            the best option; I don't know why anyone would do it otherwise. The web
            interface for Yahoo groups is horrible.

            FWIW, what I like about our official FSP forum is that you can view full
            threads and see how discussions develop. Also, the fact that it is
            slightly less easy to post messages than on an email list means that
            messages tend to be better thought out and generally of higher quality
            than you get on some of the email lists.

            > My normal procedure is to open 6 windows, to 6 different groups.
            > While I read one page, the other 5 are downloading. The hitch comes
            > when every 4th message on each page is an advertisement, so I end up
            > downloading 5 pages for every 4 messages posted.

            Oh my, you're accessing the group through the web. You ought to change
            your membership so that the messages go to your email box! Much more
            convenient.

            > Trying to access with my Yahoo email account is even slower.

            Hm...then you may want to use another email service! Your ISP should
            probably have its own email service that you can use, either with its own
            software or with a program like Outlook Express or Eudora.

            Further discussion about this should be through private email; I posted it
            to the list because I don't know your email address, motie (it's not
            listed in your messages or the members list for this group).

            Jason P Sorens - jason.sorensATyale.edu - <http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35>

            <http://www.freestateproject.org> - Do you want liberty in your lifetime?