Accessibility & usefulness of the FreeState forum pages?

  • galtsgulchco
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
      There are some here that I recognize as regulars from the forum pages.
      http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php
      Zxcv, RobertH, Exitus, FreedomRoad, I and many others have poured
      a huge wealth of research and analysis into those forum pages.
      Who here has found that material easy to access, read and respond to?
      What have been your experiences?

      Personally I've had a lot of hassle with the forum software vs my browsers
      but have found Opera faster -- especially with images turned off.
      Here is a discussion thread on that subject and some hints for people
      who have had long load times.
      http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1148
    • Bill Hartwell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
        On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 02:27, galtsgulchco wrote:
        > There are some here that I recognize as regulars from the forum pages.
        > http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php
        > Zxcv, RobertH, Exitus, FreedomRoad, I and many others have poured
        > a huge wealth of research and analysis into those forum pages.
        > Who here has found that material easy to access, read and respond to?
        > What have been your experiences?
        >
        > Personally I've had a lot of hassle with the forum software vs my browsers
        > but have found Opera faster -- especially with images turned off.
        > Here is a discussion thread on that subject and some hints for people
        > who have had long load times.
        > http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1148

        Honestly, I have trouble with web-based forums in general. Between a
        crappy dialup connection and the usual HTML hassles, I find it easier to
        keep up with discussions in an email list or on a telnet-based bulletin
        board. I even have trouble keeping up with my church's forums, because
        they're web-based...

        --
        All private email sent with PGP encryption. Email for key.
        Homepage: http://www.macmanusnet.net/

      • Brian Murray
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
          On Thursday 27 February 2003 01:27 am, galtsgulchco wrote:
          > There are some here that I recognize as regulars from the forum pages.
          > http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php
          > Zxcv, RobertH, Exitus, FreedomRoad, I and many others have poured
          > a huge wealth of research and analysis into those forum pages.
          > Who here has found that material easy to access, read and respond to?
          > What have been your experiences?

          Most of the time I use one of three browsers, Navigator, Konqueror and Lynx.
          The site works for Navigator, eventually, but it's far too slow to be usable.
          For Konqueror and Lynx the pages display soon enough but the site doesn't
          work. For all three the problem is the same; the forum software spits out
          lousy HTML. It substitutes heavily nested tables for good table structure.
          For a list of other HTML issues just click the
          'http://validator.w3.org/check/referer' link at the bottom of any page where
          it shows. I wouldn't mind seeing it replaced with something friendlier to
          more OSes and more browsers than is YaBB SE.

          --
          We should have a Vollyballocracy. We elect a six-pack of presidents.
          Each one serves until they screw up, at which point they rotate.
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
            Quoting Brian Murray <itvegas@...>:

            > On Thursday 27 February 2003 01:27 am, galtsgulchco wrote:
            > > There are some here that I recognize as regulars from the forum
            > pages.
            > > http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php
            > > Zxcv, RobertH, Exitus, FreedomRoad, I and many others have poured
            > > a huge wealth of research and analysis into those forum pages.
            > > Who here has found that material easy to access, read and respond
            > to?
            > > What have been your experiences?
            >
            > Most of the time I use one of three browsers, Navigator, Konqueror
            > and Lynx.
            > The site works for Navigator, eventually, but it's far too slow to be
            > usable.

            If you upgrade to Netscape 6.2, it's quick as a whip. I know, 6.2 is a
            bit difficult to get used to if you've used 4.7- for a long time. But
            you can switch to the classic interface in 6.2, and its features really
            are superior.
          • Brian Murray
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2003
              On Tuesday 04 March 2003 07:27 am, jason.sorens@... wrote:

              > If you upgrade to Netscape 6.2, it's quick as a whip. I know, 6.2 is a
              > bit difficult to get used to if you've used 4.7- for a long time. But
              > you can switch to the classic interface in 6.2, and its features really
              > are superior.

              That'd be a downgrade. I'm using 7.02. The problem isn't Netscape, or any
              other browser, but YaBB SE. It generates bloated duct-tape HTML. Consider
              the output from the link given earlier in this thread:

              http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1148

              84 tables nested up to 6 levels deep. 95,346 bytes of page, excluding
              graphics, to display 23,788 bytes of content. It's about 75% markup language
              and 25% of what's being marked up. That's a lot of wasted bandwidth. In all
              that bloat is a mix, for the declared doctype, of valid and deprecated
              attributes and invalid attribute values. Its CSS is in-line and so
              downloaded by browsers that don't understand it. Again, wasted bandwidth.
              There's plenty more wrong with its HTML and the PHP behind it. Rather than
              recommending that visitors use certain browsers, perhaps it's time to
              consider different forum software.

              --
              Never let your schooling interfere with your education.