Re: [FSP] Hacking the vote ( was 'Re: membership growth' )

  • Phyllis
    Message 1 of 114 , Nov 28, 2002
      Thanks, Brian, for throwing a bit of common sense into this
      insane discussion.

      Phyllis

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • voodootyke
      Message 114 of 114 , Nov 30, 2002
        --- In freestateproject@y..., Tim Condon <tim@f...> wrote:

        > > >Yes there is, Raven: All the votes will come in as printed
        sheets of
        > > >paper with a name and address; that name and address will be
        compared
        > > >to the FSP membership roster. You can't vote unless you're on
        the roster.

        > >But that wouldn't prevent me from signing up at "123 Chapelle
        Crescent,
        > >Columbia, MD" and "719 St Peter's Road, Appleby, NY" and "872
        Parma
        > >Drive, Norton, FL" and 50 other completely made up addresses,
        would it?
        > >And casting votes 'from' my false identities at those addresses?
        If I
        > >wanted to take a few minutes of effort, I could even make up
        addresses
        > >which exist (zipcodes and all) but have nothing whatsoever to do
        with me.
        > >Comparing one piece of potentially false information against
        another piece
        > >of potentially false information supplied by the same person is
        no sort of
        > >validation....Confirming everyone's existence with a phonecall
        and/or by
        > >sending the vote to their stated address would at least make it
        difficult
        > >to falsify - as a signature and the existence of an address are
        > >not. --RavenBlack
        >
        > You're right Raven. We may well end up having to make a
        few
        > thousand phone calls to confirm who's who. Jason and the board are
        going to
        > have to decide. ---Tim C.

        Phone calls? Dear lord, that borders on totalitarianism, or heaven
        forbid, the evils of zoning! Can't we just be trusting porcupines
        and hold cyber paws while we whisper all for one and one for all? ;-]