Re: [FSP] Libertarian-leaning population

  • Jason P Sorens
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, montaukman1958 wrote:

      > It seems to me that the % of the population who already lean
      > libertarian (even if they vote otherwise) is an important factor to
      > consider (probably second only to population). Does anyone have any
      > hard data on this for the 10 states under consideration?

      http://www.freestateproject.org/state.htm
    • Mikko Särelä
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
        On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, montaukman1958 wrote:
        > It seems to me that the % of the population who already lean
        > libertarian (even if they vote otherwise) is an important factor to
        > consider (probably second only to population). Does anyone have any
        > hard data on this for the 10 states under consideration?

        Now I'm wondering how much would it cost to make a questionnaire research
        (a real one) of these states to find out how liberty oriented people are?
        You probably have lots of agencies that will do it, if suitable amount of
        money is paid. Anyone know, what kind of sums would we speak of?

        --
        Mikko "One Ring to rule them all,
        One Ring to find them,
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
          --- In freestateproject@y..., Mikko Särelä <msarela@c...> wrote:

          > Now I'm wondering how much would it cost to make a questionnaire
          research
          > (a real one) of these states to find out how liberty oriented people
          are?
          > You probably have lots of agencies that will do it, if suitable
          amount of
          > money is paid.

          This is something I've also thought would be helpful. We don't have
          that kind of money now; but if funding ever becomes available before
          The Vote, this is what we ought to spend it on.

          There are anecdotes about stranger-hating Westerners, but I don't know
          how true or how widespread that attitude is. It would make a big
          difference to me. I'm not very good at explaining things to hostile
          people. I tend to avoid them; or, when that is impossible, to find a
          big friend with a big stick. Some hard data would help.
        • Heather James
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
            > There are anecdotes about stranger-hating Westerners, but I don't know
            > how true or how widespread that attitude is. It would make a big
            > difference to me. I'm not very good at explaining things to hostile
            > people. I tend to avoid them; or, when that is impossible, to find a
            > big friend with a big stick. Some hard data would help.

            I have heard plenty of anecdotes about easterners who don't accept you till
            your family's been there for 4 generations-and on this list, too! It has
            been my experience that most rural folks will generally react to you rather
            than acting first. Meaning, if you don't jump in with both feet, they'll
            just figure that's how you are & leave you be. If you need help, they'll be
            there, though. If you do jump into community stuff with both feet, they'll
            roll out the red carpet.
            Heather

          • Mikko Särelä
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
              On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Zack Bass wrote:
              > --- In freestateproject@y..., Mikko Särelä <msarela@c...> wrote:
              > > Now I'm wondering how much would it cost to make a questionnaire
              > research
              > > (a real one) of these states to find out how liberty oriented people
              > are?
              > > You probably have lots of agencies that will do it, if suitable
              > amount of
              > > money is paid.
              >
              > This is something I've also thought would be helpful.  We don't have
              > that kind of money now; but if funding ever becomes available before
              > The Vote, this is what we ought to spend it on.

              Hmm, do you have some sort of figures on the cost of that sort of
              operation? I wouldn't be surprised, if you could raise the funds for that,
              if there was a push for doing it - assuming that the cost is reasonable.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2002
                --- In freestateproject@y..., Mikko Särelä <msarela@c...> wrote:
                > Hmm, do you have some sort of figures on the cost of that sort of
                > operation? I wouldn't be surprised, if you could raise the funds
                for that,
                > if there was a push for doing it - assuming that the cost is
                reasonable.

                I don't know.
                Looks like we won't have time before our 5,000 mark, anyhow!
              • rich_tomasso
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2002
                  --- In freestateproject@y..., Mikko Särelä <msarela@c...> wrote:
                  > On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, montaukman1958 wrote:
                  > > It seems to me that the % of the population who already lean
                  > > libertarian (even if they vote otherwise) is an important factor to
                  > > consider (probably second only to population). Does anyone have any
                  > > hard data on this for the 10 states under consideration?
                  >
                  > Now I'm wondering how much would it cost to make a questionnaire
                  > research (a real one) of these states to find out how liberty oriented
                  > people are? You probably have lots of agencies that will do it, if
                  > suitable amount of money is paid. Anyone know, what kind of sums would
                  > we speak of?

                  Any polling firm will conduct such an effort if you pay them.

                  This is probably anecdotal, but running OPH booth in NH, we regularly
                  see 35-50% of the respondents score in the Libertarian quadrant.