The West, Isolation & Know Thyself!!!!!!!!!

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2002
      At 05:18 PM 8/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
      >Tim and friends observed: And you're correct. The huge distance between
      >"settlements" is one thing that, to me, is spooky about the west. I'm not
      >a city gal, I like my isolation...but to me that means neighbors within 5
      >miles. Debra Ricketts
      >
      > >Interesting. And viva la difference. I *don't* like isolation, and
      > >can't figure out people who want to live out in the middle of nowhere with
      > >the closest neighbor 50 miles away. No matter where the Free State sets up
      > >shop, I intend to live in a town or city with plenty of friends and
      > >neighbors around. Some people are gregarious. I'm one of 'em. That's where
      > >cities come from. Still & all, whatever stirs your grits is okay with
      > moi! Tim Condon
      >

      >I failed to mention that although my closest neighbor to the south lived
      >in WY and 57 miles away, my closest neighbor to the north was only
      >1.5 miles. The community of Pryor (pop. 300) was six miles and Billings
      >(pop. 110,000) was 42 mikes. I am unable to continue an active
      >communication (physical, e-mail, snail mail, or telephone) with over
      >300 people a day; thus, I seldom needed to travel to Billings.

      I like small cities. Whenever you go to a movie or theatre
      production, you're communicating with people. Whenever you walk down a
      street and nod or say hello to passers-by, you're communicating. Whenever
      you go to a rock concert with thousands of other people, you're
      communicating. When you go to a mall packed with holiday shoppers, you're
      communicating. When you join a club like Rotary or Kiwanis, or have a poker
      game, or an outdoor barbeque with your neighbors, or go shooting at the
      local range, or hit a bar and have a few drinks, or go to a dance...you're
      "communicating." Or maybe I should say "communing" with other human beings,
      most of whom have good hearts. I don't disturb those who want to live an
      isolated or hermit's life, but it's not for me, and I would guess it's not
      for most people, most of whom live in or adjacent to towns, cities, and
      suburbs.

      >I wonder how many in our group have ever been in situation where you were
      >over ten miles from another human.
      >Ben

      Probably only when I hitchhiked alone across northwest Africa,
      through Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia. Possibly when I did the same thing
      across North America, particularly in the western plains and deserts. Tim Condon