Re: [FSP] Water & The West + Roaches in the East!!!!

  • G
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
      On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 21:05, B Irvin wrote:

      > One thing that might be of interest to our Eastern members is a list of critters
      > we do not have in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. When you come here, you can say
      > "goodbye" to them forever. The list of missing critters includes: roaches, chiggers,
      > water moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, most lizards (above 3500'), possums,
      > fire ants, and a thousand and one other insects that plague the East and especially
      > the southeast. The loss of roaches alone, should make the ID, MT, or WY stay
      > worthwhile.
      >
      > Ben
      No roaches, my god, it is paradise! The 1" to 2" long ones here are
      enough to make me jump up on a chair and scream like the women on those
      old cartoons. I'd move tonight if I could.

      I would miss the reptiles. Are there any snakes? Possum tastes pretty
      good deep fried with collards and fixins. Fire ants almost killed my
      sister and step father several times. A general lack of bugs is a good
      thing to me. I see mosquitoes and ticks are conspicuously missing from
      the list. Any other bloodsuckers? BTW, do you sell used cars or real
      estate?;)

      --
      If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular
      error.
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
        On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, B Irvin wrote:

        > One thing that might be of interest to our Eastern members is a list of critters
        > we do not have in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. When you come here, you can say
        > "goodbye" to them forever. The list of missing critters includes: roaches, chiggers,
        > water moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, most lizards (above 3500'), possums,
        > fire ants, and a thousand and one other insects that plague the East and especially
        > the southeast. The loss of roaches alone, should make the ID, MT, or WY stay
        > worthwhile.

        Most of those aren't found in New England either. :)

        Jason P Sorens---jason.sorens@...---http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35

        http://www.freestateproject.org - Do you want liberty in your lifetime?
      • B Irvin
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
          Jason wrote in reference to B. Irvin's comments:

          >> One thing that might be of interest to our Eastern members is a list of critters
          >> we do not have in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. When you come here, you can say
          >> "goodbye" to them forever. The list of missing critters includes: roaches, chiggers,
          >> water moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, most lizards (above 3500'), possums,
          >> fire ants, and a thousand and one other insects that plague the East and especially
          >> the southeast. The loss of roaches alone, should make the ID, MT, or WY stay
          >> worthwhile.

          >Most of those aren't found in New England either. :)

          No roaches or copperheads in NH or VT? However, it is only fair to mention
          a few of the critters found in ID, MT, and WY but not in the East or New England:
          mule deer, Wyoming sub-species of moose, elk, mountain goats, big horn sheep,
          horned toad (below 3500' and south of Billings), prairie rattlers (below 4000'),
          lynx, mountain lion (not swamp panthers), wolves (unless in Maine), coyotes (unless
          they have recently arrived), antelope, grizzly bears, wolverines, Franklin's grouse,
          sage grouse, chukards, unabombers, mountain quail, Harlequin quail, valley quail,
          blue grouse, sharptail grouse, polygamous sect of Mormons (joke), jack rabbits,
          golden trout, cutthroat trout, bull trout, steelhead trout (well maybe in Maine), and
          green eyed horse fly.

          Ben

          .

        • G
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
            I've been giving thought to how long it's going to take FSP to get it's
            20K members. There isn't enough data to say with any degree of
            certainty, but it appears vaguely exponential. Although, it should be
            noted, that's the kind of growth I want to see.

            There are as many ways for things to grow as there are things.
            10,20,30,40
            2,4,8,16,32,64
            1,2,3,5,8,13,21
            to name a few.
            The 2,4,8,16 type growth seems to me to be the best approximation for
            what FSP has had over the last 10 months. In fact, with much reading of
            tea leaves and several dead chickens, I've come to think it likely that
            FSP will have it's 20,000 in about 4.5 years. I hope so, because the
            10,20,30 type growth would take about 21 years.

            Exponential growth, something like y=kx^2+c is quite common in nature
            and not unreasonable for us to hope for. We need to snowball and I
            think we are. As we've grown, publicity has increased which brings in
            more people which in turn allows for even more publicity and so on. If
            every month 13% more people than the previous month sign up, January
            2004 will bring the vote for which state and by the end of that year
            we'd have our 20000.

            So maybe a 13% increase in new members from the previous month would be
            a good goal for us to set? Granted, it's just math not real life, but
            the number is easy to swallow and goal setting may help motivate us. 13%
            is also a lower target than what has already been achieved so it doesn't
            seem unreasonably high. But then, I ran those numbers a few days ago, my
            memory is piss poor, and that was a damn fine shot of rum.
            If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular
            error.
            -- John Kenneth Galbraith
          • Mary Lou Seymour
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
              Yeah, I've noticed that many people are really freaked by bugs. A cat is the
              house takes care of roaches. A couple of cats in the yard take care of
              snakes. Chiggers, hell, just give pine straw a wide birth and tuck your pants
              legs into your boots in he woods. Ticks, yeah, I HATE ticks. the scorpions in
              Florida (and in the desert areas in the West) I really really hated. New
              England (Maine, at least) has these awful black flies in the summer (kinda
              like horseflies or deer flies). Lizards are great, they eat skeeters too. Fire
              ants, yuck, are a problem, but there's this powder stuff I use that keeps them
              away. I'm more concerned about water than bugs, frankly:-)

              > On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, B Irvin wrote:
              >
              > > One thing that might be of interest to our Eastern members is a list
              > > of critters we do not have in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. When you
              > > come here, you can say "goodbye" to them forever. The list of
              > > missing critters includes: roaches, chiggers, water moccasins,
              > > copperheads, coral snakes, most lizards (above 3500'), possums, fire
              > > ants, and a thousand and one other insects that plague the East and
              > > especially the southeast. The loss of roaches alone, should make
              > > the ID, MT, or WY stay worthwhile.
              >
              > Most of those aren't found in New England either. :)

              > __
              >
              > Jason P
              > Sorens---jason.sorens@...---http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35
              >
              > http://www.freestateproject.org - Do you want liberty in your
              > lifetime?

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Mary Lou Seymour
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
                > Water in the greater Northwest (including ID, MT, and WY) is cheap.
                > It isn't something one thinks much about, unless you intend to
                > irrigate a1000 acres. Its cheap!

                I guess you just don't get my point. Govt Water here is "cheap" too. So is
                govt sewer. I just have an aversion to treated water, and, I prefer not to be
                "chained" to govt systems, particularly for water, which is a necessity. I
                realize that most people don't share this opinion of govt water & sewer, I'm
                not asking you to. If you're happy with it, thats your affair. I simply am trying
                to get input that will help ME decide whether, or not, these states are viable
                FOR ME. I'm not suggesting that "availability of private water/sewer" be
                added as a parameter to the research committee (as I was with the
                homeschooking and FIJA parameters).
              • G
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2002
                  On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 22:53, Mary Lou Seymour wrote:
                  > Yeah, I've noticed that many people are really freaked by bugs. A cat is the
                  > house takes care of roaches. >
                  I seem to be the only pest my cat attacks:\

                  Mary, I don't know first hand, but I've heard composting toilets or even
                  the kind that burn the waste work well. Should do in a pinch if the perc
                  rate isn't good. My friend's aunt has the former, he says the smell
                  isn't any worse than the normal kind. Composting probably isn't all that
                  much more expensive. Only thing that puzzles me about the whole thing is
                  they changed their diet to be able to give up toilet paper. They're a
                  bit odd though, so probably has nothing to do with the composting
                  process. We used to dump our gray water on the garden and the plants
                  loved it. Overall though, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that
                  the West isn't some freaky new planet where nothing is as expected.

                  Water sounds plentiful and that's the main thing.
                  When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an
                  occasional
                  cheese dip.
                  -- Ignatius Reilly
                • Adam Gonnerman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
                    If the roaches can't live there, how do we plan to survive?

                    Adam G.

                    >From: G <ggarber@...>
                    >To: freestateproject@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [FSP] Water & The West + Roaches in the East!!!!
                    >Date: 01 Aug 2002 21:38:13 -0400
                    >
                    >On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 21:05, B Irvin wrote:
                    >
                    > > One thing that might be of interest to our Eastern members is a list of
                    >critters
                    > > we do not have in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. When you come here, you
                    >can say
                    > > "goodbye" to them forever. The list of missing critters includes:
                    >roaches, chiggers,
                    > > water moccasins, copperheads, coral snakes, most lizards (above 3500'),
                    >possums,
                    > > fire ants, and a thousand and one other insects that plague the East and
                    >especially
                    > > the southeast. The loss of roaches alone, should make the ID, MT, or WY
                    >stay
                    > > worthwhile.
                    > >
                    > > Ben
                    >No roaches, my god, it is paradise! The 1" to 2" long ones here are
                    >enough to make me jump up on a chair and scream like the women on those
                    >old cartoons. I'd move tonight if I could.
                    >
                    >I would miss the reptiles. Are there any snakes? Possum tastes pretty
                    >good deep fried with collards and fixins. Fire ants almost killed my
                    >sister and step father several times. A general lack of bugs is a good
                    >thing to me. I see mosquitoes and ticks are conspicuously missing from
                    >the list. Any other bloodsuckers? BTW, do you sell used cars or real
                    >estate?;)
                    >

                    >--
                    >If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular
                    >error.
                    > -- John Kenneth Galbraith

                    _______________________
                    THE FREE STATE PROJECT -- LIBERTY IN OUR LIFETIME
                    http://www.freestateproject.org

                    Christian Mission to Brazil
                    http://brazil_evangelist.tripod.com/cmb

                  • Jason P Sorens
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
                      On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, B Irvin wrote:

                      > No roaches or copperheads in NH or VT?

                      I can only remember one time seeing a roach in Connecticut, and I never
                      saw a copperhead, though I didn't spend much time in rivers and swamps. :)
                      I imagine NH & VT would be even less susceptible to such critters with
                      their higher elevations and shorter summers.

                      > mule deer, Wyoming sub-species of moose, elk,

                      Actually, moose are fairly plentiful in northern New England. I can't
                      speak to most of the varieties of fish & birds you mention, though.

                      Jason
                    • Jason P Sorens
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
                        Interesting analysis. We can probably achieve 13% growth, but it puts a
                        lot of pressure on the final months. Some of the infrastructure for that
                        growth spurt will have to be put into place beforehand.

                        Jason P Sorens---jason.sorens@...---http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35

                        http://www.freestateproject.org - Do you want liberty in your lifetime?
                      • steph_wilde
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
                          If we each took responsibility for recruiting one new member every six months, we could
                          easily achieve our goals.

                          I figure if I'm going to take my liberty seriously enough to be prepared to move
                          anywhere in the U.S. in search of it, I can darn well make the effort to recruit a few people
                          to come along.

                          :),
                          Steph

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
                            On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 14:06, Jason P Sorens wrote:

                            > Interesting analysis. We can probably achieve 13% growth, but it puts a
                            > lot of pressure on the final months. Some of the infrastructure for that
                            > growth spurt will have to be put into place beforehand.

                            I'm not sure it does put more pressure (on any individual) in the final
                            months. Maybe it's a bit like a tree. One may add 13% to its size in
                            the first year, and still not look like much of anything. Five years
                            down the road, it may gain another 13% and the growth looks impressive
                            as all get out. Did any one cell in that tree have to work harder? Not
                            positive, but I don't think so.

                            The placing of the future infrastructure happens automagically as a
                            consequence of prior growth.

                            So it will seem very busy going from 5000 to 20,000 people in a year.
                            Those who refuse to delegate would burn out very quickly. But so far
                            people are delegating well, why would that change unless people start
                            power tripping.

                            Anyway, just a thought.

                            Catch a wave and you're sitting on top of the world.
                            -- The Beach Boys
                          • Anita Joule
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
                              Have you done the math on this. It is remarkable.

                              steph_wilde wrote:

                              > If we each took responsibility for recruiting one new member every six
                              > months, we could
                              > easily achieve our goals.

                              I indeed we could each recruiting just two new members each year and
                              then each of them do the same we would reach our goal in under four
                              years. As a matter of fact, in four years we would have over 40,000.
                              It certainly seems like a reasonable goal for each of us doesn't.
                              Anita
                            • Semper Liberi
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2, 2002
                                From: "Mary Lou Seymour" <libertymls@...>
                                > Yeah, I've noticed that many people are really freaked by bugs. A cat is
                                the
                                > house takes care of roaches. A couple of cats in the yard take care of
                                > snakes. Chiggers, hell, just give pine straw a wide birth and tuck your
                                pants
                                > legs into your boots in he woods. Ticks, yeah, I HATE ticks.

                                Couple o' guineas will take care of those ticks! And as an added bonus, you
                                get to hear the delightful singing of the jungle fowl! :)

                                > the scorpions in
                                > Florida (and in the desert areas in the West) I really really hated. New
                                > England (Maine, at least) has these awful black flies in the summer (kinda
                                > like horseflies or deer flies). Lizards are great, they eat skeeters too.
                                Fire
                                > ants, yuck, are a problem, but there's this powder stuff I use that keeps
                                them
                                > away. I'm more concerned about water than bugs, frankly:-)

                                I share your concern about the water. I don't like anyone putting anything
                                in my water, and especially not the government. And, I definitely don't
                                want anyone controlling my access to water! I can live without a lot of
                                things, but water isn't one of them.

                                Vicki
                              • G
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 3, 2002
                                  On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 22:56, Anita Joule wrote:
                                  > Have you done the math on this. It is remarkable.
                                  >
                                  > steph_wilde wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > If we each took responsibility for recruiting one new member every six
                                  > > months, we could
                                  > > easily achieve our goals.
                                  >
                                  > I indeed we could each recruiting just two new members each year and
                                  > then each of them do the same we would reach our goal in under four
                                  > years. As a matter of fact, in four years we would have over 40,000.
                                  > It certainly seems like a reasonable goal for each of us doesn't.
                                  > Anita

                                  That is a much better way to say what I was trying to say.
                                  Put not your trust in money, but put your money in trust.