Re: [FSP] The West, Isolation & Know Thyself!!!!!!!!!

  • G
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 6:08 PM
      On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 19:47, B Irvin wrote:

      > I wonder how many in our group have ever been in situation
      > where you were over ten miles away from any human?
      When I turned 18 I caught a Greyhound to Virginia, determined to hike
      the Appalachian trail by myself. From what I can remember, the freezing
      rain began on the 2nd day (didn't bring a coat, who needs one in
      March?) I don't remember why, but I had nothing to eat except for
      peppermint candy and wild ginger root (usually unwashed) after the 3rd
      day. Oh yeah, stoned a rabbit to death. Then fog descended and I lost
      the trail. First the trees and eventually the rocks began to talk to
      me. Two weeks and 80 miles later I emerged from the ice and clouds and
      wound up in Lexington Virginia, which I still think is the most
      beautiful town I've ever laid eyes on. I like to think that at some
      point I was 10 miles from the nearest human, may as well have been. I
      say with no sarcasm it was a great time. The know thyself thing isn't
      all it's cracked up to be though, learned I'm an obnoxious lazy wimp.
    • Debra Ricketts
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2 8:54 AM
        Just for the record, the following was apparently a cut-and-paste gone awry
        ... I *didn't* make the following quote - I *love* the west, and would be
        perfectly happy if I experienced human interaction once or twice a
        year...tops! :-)

        > At 05:18 PM 8/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
        > >Tim and friends observed: And you're correct. The huge distance between
        > >"settlements" is one thing that, to me, is spooky about the west. I'm not
        > >a city gal, I like my isolation...but to me that means neighbors within 5
        > >miles. Debra Ricketts
      • Mary Lou Seymour
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2 7:10 PM
          > Just for the record, the following was apparently a cut-and-paste gone
          > awry ... I *didn't* make the following quote - I *love* the west, and
          > would be perfectly happy if I experienced human interaction once or
          > twice a year...tops! :-)

          Yeah, this was me who likes to live with neighbors within 5 miles. (I like a bit
          more human interaction than Debra, a LOT less than Tim...though when I
          was younger, I too liked going to rock concerts and movies and such. Maybe
          people were politer back then. I KNOW they didn't bring their bratty
          screaming whinining younguns everywhere with them, at least:-) (I've just
          got back from a trip to Wal Mart and the grocery store, which always gives
          me a jaundiced view of human nature).

          > > At 05:18 PM 8/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
          > > >Tim and friends observed: And you're correct. The huge distance
          > > >between "settlements" is one thing that, to me, is spooky about the
          > > >west. I'm not a city gal, I like my isolation...but to me that
          > > >means neighbors within 5 miles. Debra Ricketts

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Anita Joule
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2 8:13 PM
            Debra Ricketts wrote:

            > Just for the record, the following was apparently a cut-and-paste gone
            > awry
            > ... I *didn't* make the following quote - I *love* the west, and would be
            > perfectly happy if I experienced human interaction once or twice a
            > year...tops! :-)

            I like having my family around, but I prefer limited human interaction
            myself. Once or twice a year outside family would be more than enough.
            I personally prefer frogs, dogs, lizards, snakes, birds......to humans
            for most of my interactions.

            Anita
          • B Irvin
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2 8:21 PM
              Anita observed:

              >I like having my family around, but I prefer limited human interaction
              >myself. Once or twice a year outside family would be more than enough.
              >I personally prefer frogs, dogs, lizards, snakes, birds......to humans
              >for most of my interactions.

              How about elks, moose, grizzlies, sage hens, wolverines,
              and lynx?.

              The ID/MT/WY Coalition