Re: Idaho & One-Party System

  • B Irvin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      Adam observed:

      > This one-party system business in Idaho has me a bit concerned. Some
      > libertarians aren't going to be too enthusiastic about getting involved in
      > the state GOP. The political action group might help, but I wonder if it
      > will do much good, even if all 20,000 free staters are involved. If I knew
      > which candidates in the Idaho GOP were free staters, I would feel better.
      > Is New Hampshire better in this regard?
      > By the way, I hope to sit down tomorrow evening (Friday) with my wife in a
      > nice restaurant to discuss the Free State Project.

      Of course the big opportunity for the Libertarian Party in Idaho is to
      become the second party (replacing the Democrats). Because many
      (most) Mormons feel that to vote for a Democrat is a sin, the Libertarian
      Party has a real opportunity. Unfortunately, to get Libertarians united
      in an organized fashion is like herding feral cats. Until the Party learns
      how to organize and how to appeal to voters (avoiding Bob Barr foot
      shooting), Idaho will remain a one party (with three factions) state.

      The head of the Libertarian Party in Montana (Mike Fellows) speaks
      Portuguese (as a child he was raised on some Portuguese speaking islands
      in the Atlantic).

      Ben