The West, Isolation & Know Thyself!!!!!!!!!

  • B Irvin
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      Tim and friends observed:

      > > I understand that. Which makes your own water source even more
      > important. The point is, in Crow County, how deep must I drill a well?
      > Any idea of costs? I am being PERFECTLY serious here. several years ago i
      > checked on the cost to drill a well in Arizona and it was astronomical
      > (in the $10,000-20,000 plus range).
      >
      > > And you're correct. The huge distance between "settlements" is one thing
      > > that, to me, is spooky about the west. I'm not a city gal, I like my
      > > isolation...but to me that means neighbors within 5 miles. Debra Ricketts

      >Interesting. And viva la difference. I *don't* like isolation, and
      >can't figure out people who want to live out in the middle of nowhere with
      >the closest neighbor 50 miles away. No matter where the Free State sets up
      >shop, I intend to live in a town or city with plenty of friends and
      >neighbors around. Some people are gregarious. I'm one of 'em. That's where
      >cities come from. Still & all, whatever stirs your grits is okay with moi!

      I failed to mention that although my closest neighbor to the south lived
      in WY and 57 miles away, my closest neighbor to the north was only
      1.5 miles. The community of Pryor (pop. 300) was six miles and Billings
      (pop. 110,000) was 42 miles. I am unable to continue an active
      communication (physical, e-mail, snail mail, or telephone) with over
      300 people a day; thus, I seldom needed to travel to Billings.

      One of the advantages of my isolation at that time was that over
      a two year period I shot one elk, two Mule deer, and fourteen
      Sage Grouse from my kitchen window. Within 40 feet of my
      back door I caught my weight in Cutthroat Trout just about every
      month. Try doing that in Newark!

      I wonder how many in our group have ever been in situation
      where you were over ten miles away from any human? If you
      have never been in total isolation, how, to paraphrase Socrates,
      do you know thyself? I raised all my children to know that by
      far the most dangerous creature in a Montana wilderness is
      not grizzlies, mountain lions, moose, or lynx; but, it is man.

      Ben

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • G
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
        On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 19:47, B Irvin wrote:

        > I wonder how many in our group have ever been in situation
        > where you were over ten miles away from any human?
        When I turned 18 I caught a Greyhound to Virginia, determined to hike
        the Appalachian trail by myself. From what I can remember, the freezing
        rain began on the 2nd day (didn't bring a coat, who needs one in
        March?) I don't remember why, but I had nothing to eat except for
        peppermint candy and wild ginger root (usually unwashed) after the 3rd
        day. Oh yeah, stoned a rabbit to death. Then fog descended and I lost
        the trail. First the trees and eventually the rocks began to talk to
        me. Two weeks and 80 miles later I emerged from the ice and clouds and
        wound up in Lexington Virginia, which I still think is the most
        beautiful town I've ever laid eyes on. I like to think that at some
        point I was 10 miles from the nearest human, may as well have been. I
        say with no sarcasm it was a great time. The know thyself thing isn't
        all it's cracked up to be though, learned I'm an obnoxious lazy wimp.
      • Debra Ricketts
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
          Just for the record, the following was apparently a cut-and-paste gone awry
          ... I *didn't* make the following quote - I *love* the west, and would be
          perfectly happy if I experienced human interaction once or twice a
          year...tops! :-)

          > At 05:18 PM 8/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
          > >Tim and friends observed: And you're correct. The huge distance between
          > >"settlements" is one thing that, to me, is spooky about the west. I'm not
          > >a city gal, I like my isolation...but to me that means neighbors within 5
          > >miles. Debra Ricketts
        • Mary Lou Seymour
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
            > Just for the record, the following was apparently a cut-and-paste gone
            > awry ... I *didn't* make the following quote - I *love* the west, and
            > would be perfectly happy if I experienced human interaction once or
            > twice a year...tops! :-)

            Yeah, this was me who likes to live with neighbors within 5 miles. (I like a bit
            more human interaction than Debra, a LOT less than Tim...though when I
            was younger, I too liked going to rock concerts and movies and such. Maybe
            people were politer back then. I KNOW they didn't bring their bratty
            screaming whinining younguns everywhere with them, at least:-) (I've just
            got back from a trip to Wal Mart and the grocery store, which always gives
            me a jaundiced view of human nature).

            > > At 05:18 PM 8/1/02 -0600, you wrote:
            > > >Tim and friends observed: And you're correct. The huge distance
            > > >between "settlements" is one thing that, to me, is spooky about the
            > > >west. I'm not a city gal, I like my isolation...but to me that
            > > >means neighbors within 5 miles. Debra Ricketts

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Anita Joule
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
              Debra Ricketts wrote:

              > Just for the record, the following was apparently a cut-and-paste gone
              > awry
              > ... I *didn't* make the following quote - I *love* the west, and would be
              > perfectly happy if I experienced human interaction once or twice a
              > year...tops! :-)

              I like having my family around, but I prefer limited human interaction
              myself. Once or twice a year outside family would be more than enough.
              I personally prefer frogs, dogs, lizards, snakes, birds......to humans
              for most of my interactions.

              Anita
            • B Irvin
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2002
                Anita observed:

                >I like having my family around, but I prefer limited human interaction
                >myself. Once or twice a year outside family would be more than enough.
                >I personally prefer frogs, dogs, lizards, snakes, birds......to humans
                >for most of my interactions.

                How about elks, moose, grizzlies, sage hens, wolverines,
                and lynx?.

                The ID/MT/WY Coalition