Re: [FSP] Problem with political parties?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002
      > >In Idaho, by contrast, the state is totally controlled by the Republicans.
      >Our best way forward if we choose Idaho would be to infiltrate the
      >Republicans and
      > >change their policies. Of course, in the long run the national Republican
      ><party might "cut us off" because of the policies we're pursuing, in which
      > >case we can then form our own party.
      >
      >..I'm not too sure about. Any attempt to splice it with any party other
      >than the existing LP would involve compromise somewhere down the
      >line. Over here every coalition that has been formed between the PP's has
      >ended up 'crashing' once the political opposition and the media start
      >working on exposing the inherent differences they have.

      Politics is the art of the possible. Compromise in various manners
      and areas is inevitable. You *have* to compromise to get what you want. The
      aim is to head in the direction of freedom. Those who would rather have no
      loaf than a half a loaf of bread misunderstand the dynamics of political
      action. You do what you have to do until you're in a position not to have
      to compromise. But in a democratic republic you can't just order everyone
      else to agree with you and toe the line. The Bolsheviks could, and did.
      They shot people and exterminated opposition. We don't want to do that and
      we couldn't do such a thing anyway without violating our fundamental creed.
      We win by showing people that implementing policies that increase freedom
      will benefit everyone both in the short and long term. Eventually they come
      around because our cause is just and our positions are true.

      >I think that the problem I have with the whole party thing is that it
      >would be rediculous to have in a 'supposed' free state a situation where
      >as a party political activist you are free to adopt scurrilous methods but
      >as an individual you are not.

      For example? (Tim Condon)
    • thnsn8@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2002