Uh oh...the libertarian position on "discrimination"

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 2:28 PM
      At 03:23 PM 8/1/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >Yes yes I know, and when I first posted that message I considered
      >going into a rather long diatribe about how we are pro-gay rights but
      >not really because we are really pro-everyone rights but not pro-
      >special rights for any one group etc. etc. etc.
      >
      >but then I thought again about it and figured that in the situation
      >in which I posted this message (a libertarian forum) it was implied
      >that we don't take up special rights and that this distinction wasn't
      >nessicary.
      >-Eddie

      This probably oughtta go to the other list, but what the hell.
      Gays assert that they're not demanding "special rights," only the rights
      that everyone else is entitled to (among the categories that discrimination
      is prohibited on the basis of national law include race, age, sex, handicap
      status, religion, and national origin. Libertarians, on the other hand,
      refuse to recognize any "right" by anyone "not to be discriminated
      against." If someone doesn't like...gays, blacks, hispanics, foreigners,
      Catholics, women, Irish, Asians, Italians, etc. they have a perfect right
      to discriminate against any such group, or any other group, on any basis
      they please, both in their personal life and in their business life.
      Libertarians don't like to talk about this area very much I've noticed, but
      it's there. Thus, those who argue in favor of state action to outlaw
      discrimination against various groups and categories are turned off by that
      position. Such as most gays. Tim Condon
    • aerix88
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28 10:34 AM
        This probably oughtta go to the other list, but what the hell.
        > Gays assert that they're not demanding "special rights," only the rights
        > that everyone else is entitled to (among the categories that discrimination
        > is prohibited on the basis of national law include race, age, sex, handicap
        > status, religion, and national origin. Libertarians, on the other hand,
        > refuse to recognize any "right" by anyone "not to be discriminated
        > against." If someone doesn't like...gays, blacks, hispanics, foreigners,
        > Catholics, women, Irish, Asians, Italians, etc. they have a perfect right
        > to discriminate against any such group, or any other group, on any basis
        > they please, both in their personal life and in their business life.
        > Libertarians don't like to talk about this area very much I've noticed, but
        > it's there. Thus, those who argue in favor of state action to outlaw
        > discrimination against various groups and categories are turned off by that
        > position. Such as most gays. Tim Condon

        Seeing as though I am gay and Libertarian all rolled into one, I felt I should
        respond to your posting...

        I don't believe in special rights for any group. I believe anyone can
        discriminate against anyone that they damn well feel they should. However,
        when it comes to rights, what most are referring to are those given by the
        government. The government gets to decide who gets what rights (ie,
        marriage rights) but they should not discriminate. As a Libertarian I believe an
        individual may discriminate, but the state must not, as they are not allowed to
        limit human rights.

        Brett Porter.