Re: The Perfect Place to Live!

  • B Irvin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      G wrote:

      >Would you count present day Carbon|Rosebud|Garfield counties as part of
      >paradise? What would you guesstimate the cost of 100 acres of land in
      >this area?

      The three counties that you named are all within historic Crow country and
      thus paradise. Carbon and southern Rosebud counties are in the heart of
      the Mountain Band of Crow Indians, while Garfield was in historic River
      Band territory. Carbon and southern Rosebud have much milder Winters
      than Garfield (which is in what we call "The Big Open"). They also get
      lots of Chinooks in the Winter. Southern Rosebud has very cheap land
      as it is totally undiscovered by tourists and Californians trying to re-locate.
      It is mesa country that is covered with lodge pole pines (11-13" of
      precipitation a year).

      >Looking at the map, the cities look to be about 10 miles apart, not a
      >big deal at all to me. Or are they mostly ghost towns?

      Carbon county is cowboy country. In recent years it has become
      a home for those working and commuting to Billings (MT largest
      city). Southern Carbon County has Montana's only desert (from
      Bridger south). The Fromberg-Bridger-Belfry area has a micro
      climate (much warmer in the Winter than would be expected).
      However, Red Lodge, at over 6,000' elevation, has harsh Winters.

      >Do you live in this area now? If so, don't suppose you could post some
      >pictures?

      I currently live in southeastern Idaho (Pocatello). I'll check the internet
      for photos of south-central Montana and then post.

      Ben