[FSP] Re: The Perfect Place to Live!

  • G
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Would you count present day Carbon|Rosebud|Garfield counties as part of
      paradise? What would you guesstimate the cost of 100 acres of land in
      this area?

      Looking at the map, the cities look to be about 10 miles apart, not a
      big deal at all to me. Or are they mostly ghost towns?

      Do you live in this area now? If so, don't suppose you could post some
      pictures?

      --
      life, n.:
      A whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        G wrote:

        >Would you count present day Carbon|Rosebud|Garfield counties as part of
        >paradise? What would you guesstimate the cost of 100 acres of land in
        >this area?

        The three counties that you named are all within historic Crow country and
        thus paradise. Carbon and southern Rosebud counties are in the heart of
        the Mountain Band of Crow Indians, while Garfield was in historic River
        Band territory. Carbon and southern Rosebud have much milder Winters
        than Garfield (which is in what we call "The Big Open"). They also get
        lots of Chinooks in the Winter. Southern Rosebud has very cheap land
        as it is totally undiscovered by tourists and Californians trying to re-locate.
        It is mesa country that is covered with lodge pole pines (11-13" of
        precipitation a year).

        >Looking at the map, the cities look to be about 10 miles apart, not a
        >big deal at all to me. Or are they mostly ghost towns?

        Carbon county is cowboy country. In recent years it has become
        a home for those working and commuting to Billings (MT largest
        city). Southern Carbon County has Montana's only desert (from
        Bridger south). The Fromberg-Bridger-Belfry area has a micro
        climate (much warmer in the Winter than would be expected).
        However, Red Lodge, at over 6,000' elevation, has harsh Winters.

        >Do you live in this area now? If so, don't suppose you could post some
        >pictures?

        I currently live in southeastern Idaho (Pocatello). I'll check the internet
        for photos of south-central Montana and then post.

        Ben